Terracotta Diffuser Mod

Adam Terhune

TVWBB Member
I like idea of using the 12" terracotta diffuser because of it's thermal mass and it's ability to help regulate temperature fluctuations. It's radiating heat when the burn is cooler. This is something that you can't achieve simply using the steamer tray or the bottom of the steamer with holes drilled into it.

I also like the idea of using the steamer tray or the bottom of the steamer with holes drilled into because more smoke is passing directly over the cooking area. Something else you can achieve with this method is the vaporization through drippings directly hitting some of the hot coals. (similar to a Ugly Drum Smoker)

My solution after not being impressed with the smoke ring on some picnic shoulder was to drill three 1" holes in the terracotta saucer. I also flipped it upside down so most of the smoke passes through the holes instead of around the terracotta edges. Some of the drippings passed through the holes on my next smoke and I was very impressed with the results. Regulating the temperature was about the same.

12%252012%253A44%253A30%2520PM.jpg

Adam, Howdy;

What did you use to drill the holes in the plate without bustin' it to smithereens ???

hank

Hank

I used a 3/8" masonry bit to start the holes and then larger and larger wood bits at SLOW speeds. If you have larger masonry bits they'd probably work better than the wood bits.

How did it work for you?

I used one for awhile and found it took a lot long to heat up ,which meant more charcoal.I went back to my pizza pan and and haven't looked back.

Glen

You are right it. It does take about an extra half hour for the heat to reach 200. I think the extra amount of charcoal required is negligible considering the trade off. I've smoked a rack of ribs, 2 picnics and bacon explosion from the same blue bag of charcoal.

If anyone else tries this mod I'd really like to hear how it works for them too.

Last edited:
Adam Terhune, Howdy;

Thanks for the drill bit info... makes sense.

Been in the 'read all I can and askin' all the questions I can think of' mode.
Saw some CI grill insert pieces such as;

http://www.cast-iron-grate.com/grates-for-weber-charcoal-grills/smokey-joe-14-5-grills.html

and was ponderin' cobblin' that with one of
those 'speckled' enameled campware dish/bowles to make the heatsink/diffuser/drippin's catcher
set-up.....
Thinkin' while hammerin' onna keys...

hank

I can't really get a good visual of how the terra cotta bottom is held in the smoker. Do you have a better picture or a diagram you used? Thanks a bunch.

Back