Breaking in my mini wsm ...

Edward Alt

I saw the threads on this forum for the mini wsm, and it caught my interest. So I put one together using the SJG (a few build pics in my intro http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?34728-Hi-from-Kansas-City-MO) Researched how to use the mini wsm, and how to smoke meats. Went to Wally World anxious to get my feet wet, and came home with a big pack of wings, some Baby Backs, and an 8.4 Lb butt. Then I decided I'd start with the wings.

A light dusting of Three Little Pigs Kansas City Sweet Rub ...
IMG_00077.jpg

Got my charcoal going, then ...

I did not load the meat correctly. I thought maybe I could put all the wings on the top cooking grate. Wrong. So I had to unload the top grate, remove the top grate, load the lower grate, put the top grate back on, then load the top grate. In the mean time, charcoal temps plummeted. When I had all the meat on and the lid back on, temps did not come back up. It seemed like I hadn't put in enough charcoal. So I ended up taking off the middle/top, and putting more charcoal in the basket on top of the lit charcoal. Finally temps came up ...

IMG_00081.jpg

Dialed in right around 300 ...

Temp slowly climbed during the hour of cooking from 300 to about 330. At this point I pulled the wings and closed up the smoker.
IMG_00082.jpg

Sauced with a little Sweet Baby Ray's and they were delicious!

Last edited:
Ed welcome to the forum......nice job on thr smoker build....these little smokers are great.
Those wangs look mighty fine to.

Thanks for your kind words.

I smoked some BB ribs Friday eve around 230 for about 4 hours, spritzed several times with a mix of apple juice and apple cider vinegar. They were pretty good.

After I had prepped the ribs, I pulled a 8.4 lb pork butt out, thinking I might smoke this at the same time. I put mustard and rub on. It sat out for a little while (maybe an hour), then I put it back in the fridge. Due to weather, work, etc, I probably won't get to put it on the smoker until Monday evening. The butt is in the fridge with the mustard and rub and wrapped in Press'n'Seal. Will this be ok? I have a Maverick 732 thermometer. At what point should I insert the probe into the meat?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Ed

Back