Oversmoked

Tom McKenzie

I have recently completed a mini WSM build using WSJG. Have done two cooks(2 pork tenderloins and 1 butt), both of which yielded oversmoked meat. Used Stubbs briquettes and 3 2"x2"x1" pieces of hickory buried within charcoal on both occasions. Started fire with 7 lit bricquets placed in center of full basket. Cooked in 240-250 range. I have never used Stubbs before - is it inherently "smokier" than Kingsford or am I using too much wood. It was interesting that hickory was smoldering before adjacent briquettes had lit.

Last edited:
Glen, I'm thinking I may try that next time. Like the Stubbs. I got a 11 1/2 hour burn out of one basketful.

Tom I just notice you are new to the forum...I would like to say welcome and you can learn a lot here. Yea I like my Stubbs briqs ...I do mix it somtimes with Royal Oak lump.I am not a really heavy smoke fan.

Wow 11 1/2 hour burn.....now thats impressive....give us some details.

Last edited:
I have recently completed a mini WSM build using WSJG. Have done two cooks(2 pork tenderloins and 1 butt), both of which yielded oversmoked meat. Used Stubbs briquettes and 3 2"x2"x1" pieces of hickory buried within charcoal on both occasions. Started fire with 7 lit bricquets placed in center of full basket. Cooked in 240-250 range. I have never used Stubbs before - is it inherently "smokier" than Kingsford or am I using too much wood. It was interesting that hickory was smoldering before adjacent briquettes had lit.

I like Stubb's as well when using briquettes. I have not cooked on my mini WSM yet....but now I now not to use chunks with it. Thx!

Thanks Glen,

I've been cooking for about ten tears and over this period of time have used just about every type of smoker imaginable. Started with a WSM -added a guru later and loved it. Added a Lang 60 stick burner to my arsenal and then a Traeger. Still have the Traeger 125 but primarily use a FEC 100 and a FE PG 1000. Stumbled on an article about the mini and became intrigued - built mine about 3 weeks ago using a WSJ Gold and Visconia steamer pot, made a charcoal ring using expanded metal, use a 10" terra cotta saucer(foiled) as a diffuser and grease catcher, have added grommets for Maverick 732. So far, works like a charm, easy to control temp. Just having trouble getting right amount of smoke. In the old WSM, I used to use 4 or 5 sizable hickory chunks buried in the charcoal (Kingsford) but that is obviously too much for this little fellow. Also, first experience with Stubbs. Any advice appreciated.

Last edited:
Sounds like you got that little mini going like you want it.How did you get that 11 1/2 hour smoke on the mini ?

How did I get 11 1/2 hours? Luck I guess. :) I filled the ring tightly, removed 7 briquettes from the center and returned them after they were lit, kept temp between 240 and 250 (bottom vents less than 1/8th open, top less than 1/4). At 9 1/2 hrs, foiled butt ( IT was 182 ), at 10 1/2 hrs pulled butt ( IT was 198 ). Bottom of cooker filled with ash with only a very few coals left. Put lid back on and continued to monitor temp - did not start to drop until 11 1/2 hrs. Beginners luck???

P.S. during startup, I kept all vents wide open until temp passed through 180, then shut them down as I indicated above. About 25 minutes from start to stable at 240 +/-.

Glen, also forgot to mention that at about 8 hours into the burn, I lifted the cooking section and observed that the "burn path" of the briquettes was almost exclusively between the vents on the SJG which are on opposite sides of the bowl. I rotated the grate/ basket 90* so that the unburned *charcoal was now in front of the vents. Don't know if this contributed to the long burn or if the burn would have been even longer if I had left it alone.

439da9f2.jpg

Last edited:
Top vent less than 1/4 open maybe where you ran into problems. I found that with my mini, I have the best results with the top vent open 100%, and all other adjustments are made with the bottom vent (SJS) or side vents (SJG). Others with more knowledge will probably chime in, hope they do. I built my mini last year and have only used it probably 30-35 times.

Frank

Top vent less than 1/4 open maybe where you ran into problems. I found that with my mini, I have the best results with the top vent open 100%, and all other adjustments are made with the bottom vent (SJS) or side vents (SJG). Others with more knowledge will probably chime in, hope they do. I built my mini last year and have only used it probably 30-35 times.

Frank

Frank,

You may be right about getting an oversmoked product with a dampered down top vent. What sort of temps can you maintain with the upper vent at 100%? Do you have the the SJS or SJG? What charcoal do you use?

Thanks,
Tom

Tom:
I have a modified SJS to which I added SJG vents. When smoking, I only use the SJG vents, and usually have them 75-100% open. I run 250-270 degrees without any trouble for 7-9 hours using Stubbs or Kbb briquets. These are great little smokers that do not require constant attention. I usually use 2-3 chunks of either apple or pecan, or a combo of the two.

Frank

TomI get 225 to 250 with top vent 100% open and playing with bottom vents.I know you have a lot of expirence,but I'm going to ask anyhow....you sure about the thermometer you are using?I just stick one in the top vent.

Glen,
I'm using a Maverick with probe clipped about 1/2" over the grate and I mounted a temp gauge through the steamer pot about 1" below the grate - both read the same. During my initial burn in(without meat) temp went well over 300 with top vent wide open. Of course, things were bright and shiny inside then. I'll keep trying, it may just need a little more seasoning. Another thought - I have my terra cotta saucer/heat diffuser wrapped in foil. Could the foil be bouncing the heat around inside the cooking chamber?

Tom

I don't use my maverick in the mini,I guess I thought the mini was to small.I did try using the terra cotta saucer and it seemed like it took to long to heat up and couldn't get it as hot as I can with the foiled pizza pan.I find the pizza pan is easy to regulate the heat as the saucer was.You might try foiling a metal pan and sticking the maerick probe trough the top vent.....just to see how it works for you.

I can hold 250* with top wide open and bottom cracked "slightly". On my "burn in/seasoning" run I got well over 10 hours burn time on a full load of briquettes.

Tom:
I have a modified SJS to which I added SJG vents. When smoking, I only use the SJG vents, and usually have them 75-100% open. I run 250-270 degrees without any trouble for 7-9 hours using Stubbs or Kbb briquets. These are great little smokers that do not require constant attention. I usually use 2-3 chunks of either apple or pecan, or a combo of the two.

Frank

Did you Get the actual Vents from Weber or just cut the holes and use magnets like some other people have done? If you have any photos post them i'm curious how it came out as that might be my next mod.

I cut 1" holes like the SJG. Made similar covers out of sheet aluminum. Works great. Sorry, no photos, will need to get a new camera one day, maybe.
Frank

I did the mini WSM mod to my SJS and added two side dampers similar to the full size WSM, just smaller damoers(3 holes each 3/4")

By the way, to keep clean smoke-----always cook with the exhaust 100% open :)

4a471b95.jpg

aa349b94.jpg

Last edited:
I was given a good bit of applewood a couple years ago off a co-worker, and I've been using that stuff almost exclusively. I was on hand when he trimmed the tree, so I pretty much got the right size of logs that I could split easily later on.

I've found that the 'less is more' approach works real fine in my WSM when it comes to smoke wood. I've also found that waiting to put the wood on the fire is just as important. I get the fire nicely built, and then put a split or two on there as the meat goes onto the grate. Once that burns out, I'm usually done adding the firespice.

I used to use wood chips like you find at HD or Lowe's, but that stuff needs soaking so it lasts for awhile. I learned that I was using 3-4 charges of chips for a smallish cook, and a half bag doing something like a pulled pork shoulder/ butt or ham. Lots of times the smoke flavor was way too intense, and would make the meat bitter tasting on it's own. Thanks to the fantastic cooks here, I learned that most of the smoke flavor I'd been putting onto the meats was creosote. Once I scaled back on the amount of wood, the flavor became much improved.

Tried again yesterday. Nasty creosote taste! Left top vent wide open, sides about 1/2 to 1/3, added NO wood chunks, maintained ~ 250*. Must be the Stubbs briquettes- checked bag and it is the "product of USA" kind. Guess I'll try K before I give up - frustrating. I guess it's possible I've been spoiled by the pleasant taste of smoked food from my pellet cookers.

Back