Total Newbie

PeteH

TVWBB Super Fan
I'm new to the WSM world (2009 18.5" model), as well as TVWB. I'm very impressed with the amount of knowledge that get's shared on these sites and it makes me think that I've been very lucky on the couple of smokes that I've done so far.

On Thanksgiving I smoked an 11# turkey that I brined the night before. We were having Thanksgiving dinner at my in-laws, so this bird was just so we could have left-overs at our house and the wife could use the carcass for soup. This was my first ever smoke and I wasn't even home for most of it - just a couple of checks a few hours apart. The bird cooked for 7 hours (with water in the pan) and was delicious! It had a good smokey/bacony flavor. I was amazed how good it was considering the temp fluxuations it went through.

On New Year's Day I smoked a 9# pork shoulder for pulled pork. I used a good rub and smoked it for 10 hours - it was below freezing here in Chicagoland, but with constant vigilance I was able to deal with any drops or spikes in smoker temps with no problem. The pork was so good that I ate a meals worth just while I was pulling it apart!

Reading these forums have made me realize that there is a lot about prep and smoking that I don't know, but there is one thing I know for sure - the WSM is pretty forgiving and a lot of fun to use. The next smoke will be a brisket (with also maybe a corned beef for fun) and I plan on being better prepared for it than I have. I'd like to have some Texas type smoked sausage to go with it - does anyone have any tips for that?

Thanks for sharing. PeteH

Congratulations, Pete, on a couple of great smokes.

It's pretty clear from your post that you guys are good home cooks, and so you understand a lot of the fundamentals for prep and cooking which can be applied to your WSM.

I'm also a noob with BBQ, having gotten my WSM for Christmas. And I'm also a good cook. Combining what I know with what I learned from this board and a few others that I got directed to from this board have really speeded my development.

Take some time and really dig into the information presented here. It is a huge advangage for us new folks to be able to mine the collective wisdom of those that have gone before.

Also, along those same lines, here are some very good podcasts

Chicken Roundtable, Backyard Edition

Pork Butt Roundtable, Backyard Edition

Ribs Roundtable, Backyard Edition

Brisket Roundtable, 1 of 2
Brisket Roundtable 2 of 2

Pork Butt Roundtable 1 of 2
Pork Butt Roundtable 2 of 2

Ribs Roundtable 1 of 2
Ribs Roundtable 2 of 2

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Steve, could you by chance list the dates of those shows so those non-iTune users, like myself, can go to the show archives and dl ourselves? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The BBQ Central Radio Show

Chicken Roundtable, Backyard Edition 9/22/09
Pork Butt Roundtable, Backyard Edition 7/21/09
Ribs Roundtable, Backyard Edition 8/25/09

The BBQ Central Show

All of these show on iTunes with a release date of 4/27/08

Brisket Roundtable, 1 of 2
Brisket Roundtable 2 of 2

Pork Butt Roundtable 1 of 2
Pork Butt Roundtable 2 of 2

Ribs Roundtable 1 of 2
Ribs Roundtable 2 of 2

Thanks Steve, very helpful. Gave me a chance to dig through old episodes and found some other shows to check out.

PeteH .. Welcome! Sounds like you jumped right in
icon_smile.gif
..that's the way to do it, Pal
icon_wink.gif

Back