Hello from Kansas, along the Dusty Chisholm Trail

John Willems

TVWBB Member
Been reading a post on Smokey Joe Mini smoker project on Camp-Cook.com & it lead me to here. I'm impressed with that little smoker. I have a Smokie Joe with the side air drafts. that's what I'm going to use. Wal-Mart in Newton,Ks has those Tamale alum steamers in stock. Have a friend in Whitewater that has welding shop so I can get expanded metal to make charcoal holder. Smoking is New to Me. I've been cooking in Cast iron Dutch Ovens (chuckwagon style) for almost 30 years now & a little grilling on a Weber Kettle. Friends call Me Wishbone
Questions
1: Are there any short temp Probes that will work as well as those Long ones.
2: What type of paint do You use to paint the middle section. I'd like to paint mine K-State purple. My Son goes there. 3rd Year in Marching Band & We go to all Home football games. Tailgating Here We Come.
3: Can you put more than one rack in Steamer pot?
4: Best water tray. Metal or terra cotta.

5: Thanks in advance for any info. john

Welcome Wishbone! Sorry, I can't help with your questions at the moment, but I'm sure someone will rise to the occasion soon. Best wishes to you.

I just finished my Mini WSM and put two racks in the pot. I use the original steamer seam in the pot for the bottom rack and then used three bolts with wing nuts to add a second rack 6inches above the bottom rack. If you read the forum for the mini wsm there are some people who have even put 3 racks in them, always and option if your curious. As for the paint i used high temp grill paint from Home Depot but it only came in black for color options check a local auto parts store for high temp paint options it'll be some type of engine paint i'm sure. For the water tray i used a heavy metal 9in pie pan wrapped in foil i didn't use water i only used it for a catch pan and it worked really well. I wish i could help more on the probes but hopefully someone with more knowledge then me chimes in on that. Make notes of what your doing because the first time you take it tailgating i'm sure your friends will be wanting you to build them one too there amazing little smokers!

Howdy, John!

I bought a through-wall thermometer and drilled the proper sized hole in the steamer wall. The probe is about 2.5" long.

Paint needs to be heat tolerant but I don't think you need to get engine block paint. I didn't bother to paint mine because I know I'll make a couple more before I'm satisfied. Can't help you with a source for your special color of heat resistant paint. Try a good local paint store.

Yes, you can put multiple racks in a steamer pot. How many do you want is the tougher question. On my first attempt, I drilled holes through the walls and inserted small bolts with acorn nuts being careful to ensure that I could slip racks past them. Later I bought some eye bolts, washers and nuts. With them, I have a little room for adjustment.

I've tried 3 different heat shield or heat sink solutions. First, I used a 12" terra cotta and found that it absorbed too much heat. I couldn't get temps much above 210°. Then I tried a 9" pie pan and it allowed too much heat. Next I tried a 10" terra cotta and it seems to be the charm.

HTH

BTW: I live on the other end of the Chisholm Trail.

Not much help on the Mini-WSM but I will be at a couple of games and will be willing to come by and do some taste testing for you. GO CATS

Welcome from a short drive southeast of you!
A mini is on my to do list this winter, along with a pizza oven for my 18" OTG

Thanks everyone for help. Doesnt Weber make a small temp probe. We have a wonder full BBQ store Here in Wichita ,Ks All Things BBQ. Home of Yoder Smokers. www.atbbq.com Thanks again. Marty PM me at dutchovencook99@yahoo,com & let Me know what games. We usuall camp all weekend at Tuttle Creek. Corps campground. Wishbone-S Central Kansas

Back