Bull's Eye Barbecue Sauce Clone

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a Bull's Eye barbecue sauce clone, described by Paul Kirk in The BBQer Magazine (Spring 2004) as his tweaked version of the Top Secret Recipes clone recipe.

------------------
1 to 2 cups water or stock
3/4 cup light or dark corn syrup
2/3 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup tomato paste
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
3 tablespoons molasses
1-1/4 to 2 teaspoons liquid smoke
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 to 1 teaspoon granulated onion
1/4 to 1 teaspoon fine grind black pepper
1/4 to 1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/8 to 2 teaspoons paprika
1/8 to 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
Dash to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne

Combine all ingredients in saucepan over medium high heat, wisk until smooth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 30-45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thick.

Hi Chris....Here is another version of the Bull's Eye Recipe I found floating on the "net"........
I haven't tried it.

Bull's Eye BBQ Sauce

1/2 C. chopped onions
1 (8 oz.) can tomatoes sauce
1 C. water (OPTION: Beer)
1 1/4 C. ketchup
2 T. brown sugar
2 T. prepared yellow mustard
1 T. olive oil
1 T. Worcestershire sauce
1 dash Tabasco sauce

Combine ingredients, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
I cooked this for 45 minutes to an hour. The sauce reduced itself and tasted good. If you taste the sauce before simmering,it will not taste as good as when the flavors have melded,
but after cooking it is great.

Just like the 'real' sauce on barbecued pork steaks. For the original, do not use beer.

I made the version Chris provided in the initial post yesterday. I think 'clone' is a very appropriate term for this recipe. It smelled just like bulls eye. Everyone really liked it and it seems to have more tomatoe substance than the real thing which by comparison seems to be thickened, flavoured sugar water.

Yesterday I made it with lesser amount of variable ingrediants and beef broth, but if making it for chicken I might make it with chicken broth. Even a little oops, I mixed up the amounts for corn syrup and brown sugar (used demerra sugar). Really good sauce.

Requires a good deal of attention towards the end (splatter), but next time I'll do it in a tall pot to reduce the attention it will need.

What I'm excited about with this recipe is that with some practice and note keeping, I can tweak it for the meat/rub/smoke wood I'm serving it with.

thanks Chris

Shawn, did you include the Liquid Smoke when you made the sauce?

It seems to go bitter in recipes in which I've used it. I've switched from Colgin's to Wright's All Natural Hickory Seasoning Liquid Smoke and it's a little better, but when I do use it, I still usually use less than recipes call for. If I remember correctly, Cook's Illustrated recommended it.

Rita

P.S. I do love your rocket WSM! Sure would like to use it as a screen saver.

Hi Rita,

The kind I have is Woodland natural liquid smoke (hickory). I did use a little less than called for and I didn't notice a bitter taste. Maybe just from all the sugar!

For the screen saver, I will see if I still have the animated gif before I resized it for Avatar. Might be able to .scr it but I'll have to do a little research on that too.

It makes me laugh every time I see it.
icon_biggrin.gif

Rita

Back