Ginger and honey ice cream

Mike Marlow

TVWBB Fan
Try this Ginger and Honey Ice Cream

I have been making ice cream for a while and having always liked ginger and honey had made separately honey ice cream and a ginger ice cream. One day had a scoop of both on the plate and thought they really went well together. After more experimenting came up with this.

Ingredients-
Five pieces of stem (preserved) ginger
3 tbs of stem (preserved) ginger syrup
3 tbs of good quality honey
250gm or ½ pint of Mascarpone cream cheese
¼ lt. or ½ pint of full milk

Optional- (will explain later)
Cube of fresh ginger root
1 ts of ground ginger
½ tbs of good quality honey

Method-
In liquidizer put mascarpone, milk, 2tbs of ginger syrup, 3tbs of honey, and three pieces of stem ginger roughly chopped. Blitz on med-high until stem ginger liquidized and all mixed. Put mixture in Ice Cream machine and run for at least 25 minutes. I usually do at least 20 minutes on high speed (for soft ice cream on my machine). Last 5 minutes on slow speed (for hard ice cream on my machine). Turn out into container you want to use for freezing. Fold in finely chopped remaining 2 pieces of stem ginger. Now fold in remaining honey and ginger syrup trying to get a swirl effect. Place in freezer for at least 2 hours before use. I like to use it the same day usually before it gets really hard, but if you leave it in longer, I like to put it in the fridge at least ½ and hour before I want to serve. An hour is better. I would try the recipe as above on your first go with this. If you would like a stronger ginger hit do as follows.

Before putting the milk in the liquidizer – put milk in saucepan. Finely chop and crush the cube of fresh ginger. Add the fresh ginger, 1ts of dried ginger, ½ tbs of honey to the milk. Gently heat the milk for about 15 minutes always keeping it below boiling. After 15 minutes sieve the milk mixture and allow to cool. Then follow the directions above. Hope you enjoy this as much as our friends and we do.

Back