Performer Igniter Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeremyC

TVWBB Fan
Hey, anyone ever have the igniter fail on their Performer? Mine is fairly newish, only about 25 cooks on it, and I had a heck of a time getting the Gas Assist started to light my chimney. Wound up using a long lighter to get it going.

Replacement parts easy to install?

The igniter on my '05 didn't work when I got it (this past weekend). I took it off and cleaned up all the connection points and reinstalled it. It's now working fine. They are very easy to replace. I replace the on on my older performer a few years ago.

MikeZ

definitely can happen, although id be surprised by a new one failing so quickly...

not sure about others by my perf burner/igniter does have significant problems with even a slight breeze, seems like the propane stream that flows throught venturi (into the burner tube) gets disrupted and ends up igniting up under the kettle (through the open slots in the igniter tube prior to going into the bowl section) and sometimes even begins to melt the igniter wires before i realize the problem... just a thought, that might be your problem as well

Mine stopped functioning near the end of the first summer ('02) I got it, so I just started using a long lighter. But the next spring, I removed the connections, and cleaned/reassembled. Has worked flawlessly ever since (without being replaced).

My buddy ('97 Performer) has the fire sometimes shoot out of the venturi, outside of the bowl. We think the pressure regulator is failing, and not flowing the gas out at a high enough pressure, allowing the fire to start at the venturi instead of inside the bowl. If we tap the regulator with a screwdriver, the flame will flare up momentarily.

A new one is about $45, so he hasn't bought one yet, so I can't say for sure that is the problem. But it seems to be the likely culprit. They are known to fail on gas grills.

If yours is newer, check CS to see if under warranty.

The do require annual maintenance. Whether you use them once or fifty times a year.

I clean the electrodes and the wire connections on all our Performers with some emery cloth and they always fire on the first stab of the igniter.

Hi there folks,

I have problems with my lighter as well on the Performer which I bought only in March this year.
It's only used one gas cycling so far and it won't light anymore.I thought it was because the gas had ran out so i bought a new canister of propane and inserted it but nope....still won't light up.

I checked all my connections underneath and the little tab ontop of the lighter nodule slid inside the unit...must've been broken inside.

I contacted Weber Australia yesterday (sunday) via email and got a reply back straight away (Monday) and they will organise a technician to come out and have a look at it as it's under warranty.
I'm in Sydney, Australia so we have a representative here somewhere in the city area.

I'll let you guys know how I got on.

Cheers

Davo

Well, I guess that you guys jinxed me. I read this post last week and thought "I haven't had this problem, I wonder what the cause is".
I had a BBQ/Party on Sunday for Her Indoors's 60th birthday. we had about 40 people, when I went to fire up the performer the ignitor wouldn't work, I did't investigate it, I just lit it with a long match. I'll have to look at it next weekend.

Regards

G'day Phil,

Hope your better half enjoyed her Birthday over the weekend.She is definately blessed to have a hubby who cooks for her.

With mine, after I realised it was useless to persist with the lighter button, I lit some newspaper and placed it near the tube in the kettle and it still wouldn't light up.
The new Gas canister was installed....yep...checked......gas turned on..yep checked, I could hear gas so it was definately flowing....but to where? don't know!!
It just didn't want to light up.
Hopefully I'll have a weber guy come out to have a look at it within the next week or two....I'll let you know what happens.

Cheers

Davo.

PS. Good to know these things can happen to the best of us...eh Phil LOL

I have had only limited trouble with the igniter. My Performer is just about a year old and I use it frequently. My recent problem is that I am getting all yellow flame and poor flow through the tube. Time for a cleaning.

I'm beginning to suspect that a gas lighting system for a charcoal grill maybe not the best idea around if they're going to need constant cleaning out after just a few cook-ups.
Oh well...at least we can go back to basics and use a chimney when all else fails, as long as we got a good supply of fuel..we're hot to trot!!

cheers

Davo

Originally posted by Davo:
I'm beginning to suspect that a gas lighting system for a charcoal grill maybe not the best idea around if they're going to need constant cleaning out after just a few cook-ups.
Oh well...at least we can go back to basics and use a chimney when all else fails, as long as we got a good supply of fuel..we're hot to trot!!

cheers

Davo

Not me, it's a key convenience for me. Although I mention in my response that I use the performer regularly I use the lighter even more. I use it to light coals for the WSM as well. It get's plenty of use whehter I'm using the grill or the smoker in a year. I don't mind having to clean it once a year.

Its not convenience as much as the cost and the taste of lighter fluid. No waiting for the nasty smell to burn away.
Sometimes I get my coals going, push them to the side for indirect grilling and put my little smoker box over the flame to get the chips smoking. IT works really good.

I guess it's ok if you use it a lot and it works all the time then yeah, a good clean every 12 months is a good thing but mine is only 7 months old and used only about 8 times (we've just gone through winter) and theres something wrong with it.I'll just put it down to teething problems.
hope its not a re-occurring one.
Just got a phone call off the Weber guy 5 minutes ago and he's coming out to my place tomorrow to have a look and hopefully to fix it.So Far..very happy with service, lets you all the know results.
I'll just put it down to teething problems.

Cheers

Davo

I was planning on getting a Performer to replace my OTG. Now, I'm not so sure. Please let me know what periodic maintenance is necessary so I can determine if I should get this or not.

I have both an older one (sst table) and a newer one (05'). I don't think the lighter is a high maintainence item. I cleaned out the tube one time in 5 years with the older one. I just cleaned up the connections on the new (used) one only because the person that sold it to me told me it was working when he last used it. I'd suggest you go to the Weber manual (on their web site) and read their maintainence instructions.

MikeZ

Anthony,
do not let this be the deciding factor between an OTG and a performer... the required maintainence is absolutely minimal...
just my $.02...

I would definitely NOT let the routine cleaning requirement divert me from a Performer. Love mine. And the gas lighter continues to be a key reason to own one due to mulitple uses along with the other obvious convneinences - table, cart, charcoal storage, etc.

Any gas grill you buy will tell you to clean the venturis tubes on a regular interval. This is no different and one should expect that they need the same care. As far as the igniter, I can remember having much trouble with the igniters on gassers that were kept outdoors.

Connections will oxidize quicker outside or in the weather, that's for sure.

The difference in the use of the venturi/igniter we are talking about here though is just for lighting not for cooking. At least if you do run into a problem with the lighter/igniter, you don't NEED it to complete a meal. You can cook and fix it later if it acts up.

And - I have had no trouble with my igniter (kept on an open porch/covered), just recently after a year (stored outdoors all year) I have a probably with the venturi that looks like it probably has a blockage from insect intrusion.
AKA I need to remember to clean it once a year if I don't want to run into the problem, just like in the gasser days.

Hi Folks,

Well It's Friday afternoon and the Weber Service guy has been & gone and has had to order me a whole new Gas starter system for the Performer.
It had him stumped why it wouldn't work, he tried just about everything and we did get it to flame up once but after that....nothing, so he conceded defeat and called Weber Australia to send up a whole new gas starter system.

I thought and was hoping that it wasn't something that I had done wrong, phew!!
Looks like a product fault and due to the fact that Weber Performers are not that common over here in Aussie land....it's the first time he's had a problem with one.Trust my luck LOL

Cheers

Davo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back