Tahini sauce question.

Question, am making a sauce for a Lebanese sharwarma.

1 cup tahini
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons yogurt

When I first mixed the ingredients they were a thick liquid. After I stirred it with a fork it came out like peanut butter. Is this what it is supposed to do? Other than a Chinese buffet we don't get much ethnic food around here.

No. It should be thinner.

You want half the quantity of tahini as lemon juice, one quarter as olive oil (or a mix of olive oil and yogurt).

So for 1 cup tahini you'd use 1/2 cup lemon juice plus 1/4 c olive oil (or, say, 2 T oil plus 2 T yogurt). Plus the garlic. Salt to taste.

Agree with Kevin.

It should come out a bit thinner than mustard/ketchup but not drippy.

Every schwarma shop I visit, it's always in a squeeze bottle and comes out quite easily.

I probably should have read the can of tahini I bought. It says use 1:1 with water. Still I added water and was thinner but still paste like. More lemon juice and water and it came out thin. Kept tasting it as I went along and the flavor did not change. Will have to work on this further. Perhaps a trip out of town to a place that has ethnic foods is in order. Perhaps in February when I goto Orlando I can persuade my friends to hit a middle eastern joint.

Actually no. No water needed. Tahini is a paste, as you know. But the lemon juice and oil are sufficient to cut it to a pourable consistency - as well as add flavor.

Back