First Cook / A success / long

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe C

TVWBB Member
Did my first slab of ribs and a batch of hot sausage (store bought) today and I must say they were fabulous. In spite of the conditions. Got up this morning and it was 13*F and the wind was 15-20 kts. But come hell or high water I was gonna Q today. So I prepped the ribs with BRITU rub and headed down to the lumber co. for aluminum styro sheathing to make a wind box. Got home and threw together a RUDE AND CRUDE but functional box. The wind was blowing so hard that I had to put the box over the chimney to keep things under control to get started.Here's where I got suprised. After I had the chamber full and burning nice and the WSM assembled and meat in, I didn't need the box over the top of it. Lid temp showed 300* and dropping then stabilized at 245*-250* the rest of the burn. Tried to get it a little lower but realized a new unit runs hotter. And it never got above 20*F all day long and the wind never went below 10 kts. I did use the box as a wind break tho. Took the meat off after 4 1/2 hrs and like I said fabulous. Cannot believe how controllable and easy to use this thing is. Next time ..brisket and homemade sausage. Can't wait. Thanks for listening.
Joe C

I think your experience is consistent with what other folks report: it's the wind more than the temperature that's the problem. A windbreak is usually sufficient to solve that problem. An enclosure would only be necessary for the most extreme conditions.

Regards,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back