pork tops

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I've just been given a sack of "pork tops"!

trouble is i dont know much about this cut & was hoping for some info.(it looks very lean)

i guess there 3-4lbs. each.

thanks

Theo,

I have never heard of a cut called a "pork top". I searched and didn't get any hits. Is it round, like a loin? In any case, you can probably get by using any pork loin type recipe and cooking technique. Just cook at 275 to 300 to about 145, pull off let rest 10 to 15 minutes, and slice.

Just a guess, but it should work for a lean cut.

Good luck.

[This message has been edited by Doug Wilbur (edited 01-26-2001).]

Well,whatever they r they are smokin away!
The person that gave them to me is in the meat business,i asked her again & after a long lecture on the anatomy of a pig,she said that there bought as "tops" & are often sliced for cutlets?

So I asked again, "SO THERE PORK-LOINS?" and she almost whacked me with one! I think ill just call em tops

I dont think pork is cooked at 145*,my thermometers say 170* for fresh pork.

well...they should be done in a bit...cant wait!

enjoy the game!

[This message has been edited by Theo B (edited 01-29-2001).]

Pork tops?
Do they taste like ticken?
smile.gif

Theo,

Most new cookbooks suggest cooking pork chops to 145-155*F, until just slightly pink. Trichinae, the trichinosis parasite, is destroyed at a temperature of 137*F.

Regards,
Chris

Hey Theo, how did your "pork top" turn out? I just wanted to say that I agree with Chris on the "new" temps for pork. Also, if you take a pork loin off at 145 internal and cover loosely with foil, in about 10 minutes the internal temp will go over 150, sometimes as high as 155. If you go any higher than that with a loin it's gonna get real dry real fast.

JMHO
DougW

I think this is the same cut they make a proscuitto from,they are shaped alike.

I cooked it to 160*,it was pumped,so it is still plenty juicy.It sliced clean&lean & looked beautiful. tasted like pork tenderloin!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back