New Performer.. . /w Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe. P

TVWBB Member
Hello all
I’m the proud owner of new Performer ( Blue ). One question I have so far is when grilling direct do people like the charcoal baskets ? It seems such a small area to cook over. Now for indirect I think they are great. But I think spreading the coals out would give you more cooking space,

I guess I answered my own question ..if a larger cooking area is needed don’t use the baskets. I’d still like some opinions anyway

My deck is getting crowded …WSM, Genesis gasser, and now a Performer

Joe,

The baskets are used primarily for indirect cooking. For direct I usually just spread out the charcoal with a triple layer for a hot zone and a cool zone with no charcoal and maybe a third single layer area.

If I am doing just two relatively small steaks, then I may use the baskets for a super hot sear.

Congrats on the Performer...I have one and love it. The charcoal baskets are okay for short term indirect cooking imho. For direct grilling, definitely go without them.

Thanks guys. That’s what I thought and have done in the past. I just never used the baskets before.

Oh and wow I can’t believe the quality over the OTG. I had my OTG packed up and back in the box after 5 minutes. I was shocked how cheap it was

I just wanted to add that I bought my OTG at HD . That might have been one reason for the lack of quality

Forget the baskets, move them coals around, Get a nice bed of glowing coals just leave some empty space w/ out coals for a cool or safe zone.

the only thing i have seen better sturdiness wise on the performer is the fact it is well fastened to the cart vs the 3 legs on the OTG. The 3 legs have some give if you try to twist the kettle left to right. But this never caused a problem with me and the grill is 6yrs old setting out in the elements 365 days a yr.

I have a OTG and a Performer...didn't really notice a huge difference, although I do prefer to use the Performer....maybe because of the table?? I don't really know.
icon_smile.gif

This is interesting. I bought the OTG at Home Depot and was shocked on the quality vs the Performer. The only thing that was equal was the grates and ash collector. I’m starting to think I got a Home Depot version “ aka dumb down version” like they seem to carry .

I was looking at the OTG at a hardware store and it seemed much better. Who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back