About to pullout the drill--yikes

M. Chesney

TVWBB Fan
I am about to nervously drill in a Tel-Tru 2-1/2" stem (BQ300) temperature gauge with a Unibit #4 step drill directly across from the vent on my precious Weber lid. After looking through the thorough drilling modification instruction page, I could not determine if the hole I drill (thinking 1/16") would be at the gauge of the stem or should it be at a gauge wide enough to seat the gauge all the way though the NPT so that I'm able to fasten a ½ bolt from the underside. I also plan to widen a washer as depicted on the site for the top to give it a more secure fit. Is the drill bit sufficient or do I need to get a punch as well to cut a ½” hole?

Sorry for asking such a basic question but either I read it wrong in the instructions or I just didn't see how this is done.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike,
I used a UniBit to enlarge the hole in a washer when I added my TeTrue thermo to the dome of my WSM.
Adfter I drilled the hole in the dome, I sprayed the hole and the enlarged washer with hi-temp paint before assembling it all. I also used a large washer on the inside of the dome to add support to the mounting. On top of that, I used a couple of sockets and a hammer to put some shape to the washers so they matched the contour of the dome a little better.

Thanks for all the help. I now have the bit and I'm waiting for the tel-tru temp gauge which I ordered along with the installation kit (washer and lock nut) to come in the mail. I actually practiced a bit (no pun) on scrap sheet metal and it works great. I like the idea of doubling up on the washers and shaping them.

Thanks,

Mike

I used two stainless steel fender washers (on inside and outside of the top).

Drilling the dome for the gauge was easy. Drilling the fender washers was a real pain. In retrospect it was overkill. I thought I would never get them drilled out with the uni-bit step drill. The stainless flakes and the little chips want to collect in the corner of the step bit constantly stopping the cutting action. I suspect those uni-bits were never designed to cut through thick stainless fender washers like that. Not to mention you have to find a way to clamp those washers down and still have clearance for the bit.

Like I said, the dome top of the smoker was a breeze.

Unibits are meant for drilling into THIN METAL ONLY. For drilling the thick stuff use a regular drill bit.

Yeah, the procedure worked out fine and the curved washers match very well with the curvature of the domed lid.

Back