Price justification

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hey everybody -

As a newbie to bullet-style BBQing, I've been checking out the different units. Although I've always been impressed with Weber's quality, I can not justify the price they get for their WSM machines....especially when compared to Brinkmans Gourmet Smoker, which looks almost identical to my untrained eye.

I can pick up a Brinkmann at Wal-Mart for about $45. My question is, are there features found in a Weber WSM that will justify my spending an additional $100+?

I can't see it, but then again, I'm new to the bullet-style of cookery.

Awaiting your responses,
Dave

Hey Dave,
Yea there is a justification of price with the WSM vs. the Binkman. First the workmanship and materials used, the Weber is far more superior in this catagory. Most of the guys on this site have had their WSM for more than 10 years. Anything else besides a ceramic Komado will not stand up to the WSM.
Second, it's portable and will break down to 3 smaller units for transportation, I'm sorry but the binkman will break down to 3 units but the mid-section is far taller and bulkier. Third, design and function. Although the binkman looks the same it will not control air and heat like the WSM. This is because there are no vents at the bottom and top of the binkman. Only with these vents can you control the air flow thus control the heat. Binkmans have a charcoal pan that sits on brackets which if you look closely you will see a gap around the pan. This gap will cause air to flow uncontorled into the binkman, and with no uppper vents on top you cannot actively control the air comming into the unit. I bought the WSM without blinking an eye over both a new ceramic Komado ( "big bucks$$$$" ) and a binkman! I tried a binkman "gone there and done that" they suck, life is SOOOO much better and easier with a WSM. My WSM costs $225.00 over the binkman $35.00 on sale, but after you factor in all the pork, beef, chicken, seafood that the binkman will screw up you will realize that the price of a WSM was and is well worth it.
Aloha,
biggrin.gif

Well said Mattd. I agree with you 100%. I would like to add that I can get 14-16 hours on one load of charcoal and hold a very consistent temp. That means I can sleep all night if I want. Try that on any other smoker under $200.00. That feature alone, is far worth the 175.00 to $200.00 for the WSM. Oh, one other thing, you can fill the charcoal and water pan without disassembling the entire unit and losing temperature.

Dave?.
If Matt will allow, I would like very much to echo his comments. In responding to another inquiry on whether the WSM was 'worth it', I told of my quest for the ultimate smoker and concluded, like Matt and I'm sure like other VWBB members, that I had two choices >1 a komado ($X,XXX Big Green @#%) or >2 the WSM. What led me to this venture was having gone through four other smokers built by the company you have made reference to and the fact that smoking food had become so frustrating and costly during this time period I had reduced my cooking to Thanksgiving only! That was until last Thanksgiving when I spent the entire day trying to get my family's food cooked on a Br#$%^&* that I had just purchased (on sale) at Wal-Mart for $75. Since failure nor frustration are things I enjoy, I spent weeks, into months researching smokers, etc. until I came across this web site where I became totally convinced that these guys/gals were onto something. Being an old accountant, I applied all of my experience in determining if the WSM was indeed a good buy. As Matt has stated, you can find smokers cheaper and you can find smokers more expensive; but for the superior cooking results, the reduced frustration in life, the extended number of years of service available from this product you cannot find a better buy. I hope you reconsider 'cause Thanksgiving is just around the corner and I would hate for you and your family to experience what mine did last year. I hope this helps you in your decision?..good luck?..John

Hi Dave,

I too thought(and still think)the WSM is quite pricy,& I have had many great cooks on my old $20 Brinkman over the years.

While im not familiar w/ the particular model Brinkman you use as a comparison, the
features that the other gentleman alluded to,such as the charcoal rack in place of a charcoal pan,the vents which simplify temperature management,the very fact that the top piece of the WSM alone weighs more than the entire Brinkman imho shows a quality of craftmanship you will not find in a $35-50 smoker.

In the end,it comes down to an individual choice,and im sure you will have many great
cooks should you go with the Brinkman,
however,as I mentioned to another poster not long ago,it's kind of like comparing a Cadillac to a Geo.

Best wishes,

Theo B.

Hi,

I have never owned any cooker other than the WSM, so I can't speak from first-hand experience about any other cooker. I can tell you that I've lost count of the number of people I've talked to in person, by e-mail, and on this BB that wished they had gone for the WSM straight away.

If you amortize that extra $100 of cost over the minimum 10 years of enjoyment you'll get from the WSM, that's only $10/year. Seems like a good investment.

When I was in the market for my WSM back in 1997, I was inspired by Mike Scrutchfield, the master of the WSM, who said regarding this cooker, "Buy the best, and only cry once!"

Regards,
Chris

My buddy bought a Brinkman Gourmet in the springtime about the same time I bought my WSM. He is now considering buying a WSM and giving the Brinkman away. He can cook some good Q on it, but has to constantly monitor the temps and has to refill with charcoal every 2 hours or so. When he saw the WSM, he said, "Where's the handles on the midsection? How do you take it off to add charcoal?" He didn't believe me at first when I told him I've never had to add charcoal. He has modified the charcoal pan and added Weber-style vents top and bottom, and still gets suddenly spiking and plunging temps. I paid $130 or so more for the WSM, but if you use it regularly, the difference in charcoal comsumption alone will make up the difference. I cooked a butt for 12 hours last week on a single load of charcoal. Try that on a Brinkman! I'm glad I went straight for the WSM (thanks to the great folks on this forum!).

Steve

Dave,
For a lot of us, barbeque is a hobby, and we justify our expenditures accordingly. That said, any of the bullet smokers will require a certain amount of "fiddling" in order to learn how to control the fire. (Time well-spent!)My experience with the "stock" ECB (with the unventilated charcoal bowl), is that NO amount of fiddling will fully overcome its inherent ventilation problems. Although, it can be modified in a manner that greatly enhances its ability to produce useful heat, it still suffers from lack of ventilation control. Thus, the modified ECB is capable of producing surprisingly good BBQ, but requires considerable monitoring (and replenishment) of the fuel and water. The WSM is designed to alleviate many of these problems.

In coming to a conclusion, it may be helpful for you to consider how often you expect to use your cooker, and how much time you want to devote to it while it cooks. Either way, you will have a good time, and learn a lot.
Enjoy,
George

Hi Dave,

I can't add anything new that the others haven't said except for my personal experience. I first tried a Brinkman(ECB) then a NBBD. I gave up hope of ever producing edible Q in a home smoker. Then I found this web site, nothing short of a revelation. I produced a nice pork butt on my first try and ever since.
The WSM is definitely worth the extra $$s

Brian

OK guys, that's the type of info I was looking for. There is ALWAYS something(s) that the newbie can not possibly know.

As much as I've looked at the Brink, it not having any vents never occured to me. And after I posted the previous memo, I did notice there was a significant weight difference between the two, which could indicate that it may last a few years :)
Now that I think about it, my old Weber Kettle is still out there kickin after 15 years....minus the wooden handles.

Having fought the heat control battle with my offset-style smoker before finally figuring it out, I don't think I need any more of that aggravation.

Again everyone who responded, thanks for the input. You've steered me from blowing $45.

Dave

Hey Dave,
Now that you've figured out that the WSM is the way to go over the Binkman, go out and get one! And while your at it pickup a whole lot of charcoal and some choice meats, poultry and or fish and start smoking. But be sure to stock up on alot of ice and beer cause once you start up that WSM you'll notice you've got an awful lot of neighbors stopping by to say Hi or wondering what that great smell is! And once they have tried the food comming out of the WSM, ( using this post to know how to. ) you're gonna be the "man" in the neighborhood. Anyway good luck and hope you finally get a WSM and start enjoying what us guys & gals are enjoying now. Well gotta go cause my friends and neighbors are waiting for the chicken and ribs I got cooking right now, and besides todays sunset is supposed to be nice! Shaka Bra
wink.gif

The only thing better than barbecuing on the WSM would be...barbecuing on the WSM in Hawaii! mattD, I'm totally jealous, but as they say, "it's a tough job, but somebody's gotta do it!", right?

Keep things smokin' out there on "the rock"!
cool.gif

Aloha,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back