Question about a Wok

Jeff Day

TVWBB Member
I've read through the past posts about a wok but still have a question I'd like to pose.

I want to get a Wok and I don't know whether to get a weber kettle wok or one for inside.

I had never considered a kettle wok till I read about that accessory on this site.

What are the pros and cons of an "inside" vs. "outside" wok?

Seems like the indoor wok on the stovetop would be easier and faster. What do you gain by cooking on the kettle wok?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts!

Jeff

Nothing but the fun of doing it really. I love my wok for the kettle and use it all the time. It's neat for presentation and fun to work with but I could always just take a regular wok out to the grill and then use it inside as well. Just my opinion though!

Clark

I don't own a weber wok, but I do a bit of stir frying indoors and out with a steel wok. the advantage to doing it outside is that you don't have to worry about underpowered exhaust vents. I also have electric hobs in my kitchen which make it very difficult to get the wok to a good stir fry temp. I thought doing it outside on a propane burner might work better, I'm still experimenting with a good method.

As far as the weber wok goes, it seems like people around here really like it, I'm sure there will be no shortage of pro opinions.

wouldn't it work perfectly sitting on top of a chimney filled 2/3's with glowing coals? Then it can just sit on the top of whatever grate you choose, and be at a better eye/hand level.

Just a thought.

I have two indoor woks and would not be without them. The biggest problem with any indoor wok on electric ranges is the flatness of the bottoms (I have glass cook tops). If the wok bottom is flat, you get good heat transfer and the wok will be really hot. I use mine inside for a lot of dishes and it keeps the grease splatter to a minimum around the range area.
One of my woks is a 16 inch Scanpan and the other is a 16 inch Circulon. The Scan-pan is heavier and is my favorite.

Ray

I bought a Weber Wok off eBay a couple of months ago and have yet to use it. I'm just dying to. Keep telling the wife to look for stir fry in the grocery and she has yet to do so.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Keep telling the wife to look for stir fry in the grocery and she has yet to do so. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Rick,

Why not surprise her and pick up something yourself. It will turn out so good that you will never have to ask her a second time.

Ray

You really want both
icon_smile.gif
You wouldn't want to have to fire up the grill Every time you want to do some stir fry.

AFA the Weber Kettle Wok, love mine. They are larger, and with the charcoal fuel get can get MUCH hotter than an indoor on a non pro cooktop/burner. I've actually set the oil on fire for example. You really don't need that much fuel. Only a ring of coals around the bottom. You can use the cover from your indoor wok on the Weber if you need to (depends on recipe).

I have a gas cooktop that works great on the indoor wok.

The Weber Wok is discontinued (I believe) so they may be a little harder to get.

Rick,

Why not surprise her and pick up something yourself. It will turn out so good that you will never have to ask her a second time.

Ray

Ray, Don't think I wouldn't. We are both busy with work constantly, yet she finds time to go to the Grocery Store everyday. She does love stir fry as we eat Chinese at least twice a month. I am on vacation till the 5th. I'm definetly going to go myself.

My BBQ pit has two 60,000 btu burners on the nose for cooking. A wok sits in the hole just like a restaraunt set-up. It was one of the great surprises once I got the thing home from Tejas! There is NOTHING like wok cooking over VERY HIGH heat, the way it is intended. I have a gas stove, but the heat of the wok is diminished each time something is added to it. I NEVER knew true stir fry until I did it on this thing!!I actually get alot of flame from the oil in the wok vaporizing! My recommendation, is to buy a very high btu burner and try it!

Cooking on a wok is not only fast but efficient when cooking for a small army. The propane burner of a turkey fryer are excellent for wok frying. I use my big 32" dia wok on a heavy duty 90,000 BTU burner (3 concentric rings w/ 3 control valves) and I can whip up 36 quarts of stirfry in minutes! Outdoor cooking w/ a wok akin to bbq/grilling...

Back