Rotisserie for performer

dean

TVWBB Pro
I looked at Weber.com and it says the rotiss only fits 22 inch kettle and NOT the performer! I want a plug in style (not battery
icon_wink.gif
) that is heavy duty rated for 50 lbs., and will work on my performer. What are my options? Ty in advance.

Why wouldn't WEBER'S rotisserie fit a Performer...?

images

the only obstacle i can see is: you can not place the lid of the Performer in the Lid-Slide

Ok tx Jim. I want the weber one. Just gotta figure where to buy it now. No CL deals around here. Hello amazon!

The other obstacle that you may encounter is the bolts on the inside of the bowl. The ones that attach the lid bale. They may prevent the rotisserie from sitting down completely.
And the Weber onses don;t sit all that great anyway. If you feel its a problem, you can notch the ring with a dremel.

I looked at the cajun bandit and liked the ring because it is stainless and fits on the kettle better. I however do not want the battery powered rotisserie. I looked at the weber unit and it looks like it doesnt fit as well. Also I looked inside the bowl of my performer and the bolts for the lid holder are in the way! Why can't weber just make it to fit on the outside?
icon_mad.gif
I wonder if I can buy the CB stainless ring and buy a different plug in style rotisserie? Any one ever done that? I would love the ring from CB...

Sure, you can buy a plug-in motor, butt the battery powered motor works great, much better than you can imagine.
I had my doubts too, butt after using it once, I still use it. Absolutely nothing wrong with the two D cell battery operated motor.

Also, with either rotisserie ring you buy, you will DEFINITELY want to alter the ring where your spit enters the motor. A Dremel is handy...

The Cajun Bandit ring is supposed to fit better. I don't doubt that. They also sell one that is reversible that fits both a 22 kettle and flips to fit a 22 WSM. That makes it worth while. No one complains about the battery powered motor.

Also, with either rotisserie ring you buy, you will DEFINITELY want to alter the ring where your spit enters the motor. A Dremel is handy...
Why do we alter it? Ty for the replies. I am spending about as much on a rotiss. as I spent on the performer! I just wanna do this right the first time! tx again gentlemen...

the weber one will work just fine. many say they have issues with the gaps. but just as many, myself included, who say they have no issues. weber says that due to liability issues. notching or whatever is just not a big deal.

Why do we alter it?
there is NO slot (cut-out) to remove the spit from the motor... only a hole... what you may want to do is slot out that hole to make it easier to place spit on the rotisserie...
here is a photo of the hole slotted out ? by the motor.
DSCN7412.JPG

My Weber one works fine on my performer. I don't seem to have the problems others do. My screws don't interfere They seem to be at the same height as the tabs on the ring. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Weber part, that being said the one Jim L has is pretty sweet. I'm not sure how much the cost difference is.

Brian

I have used the Weber rotiss on my drum, kettles, and Performer. I did have some issues with gaps when using it with the performer, due to the position of the bolts for the lid holder, but a heavy duty foil gasket worked just fine. Not a big deal. I bought some rope gasket, which I intend to actually put on for a better seal one of these days. You may have better luck finding a Weber rotiss ring on CL than you will finding a Cajun Bandit setup ( at least around Houston).

Jim, please give a little more detailed description. I am planning on using in my new CB ring and want it to work right. I also don't want to make any cuts without being exactly sure what I am cutting. Thanks!

the early weber rings only had two holes. a real pain to install the loaded rotiss. the later ones have a slit cut in opposite the motor. now you just install the shaft into the motor and lower the other side down through the slit. easy peezy.

Shaun, the hole in the ring where your spit rod connects to the roti motor... that is the area where I slotted...
DSCN8947.JPG

This does not need to be done for a regular rotisserie, butt it helps placing in and removing the spit rod when using the Rib-O-Lator.
the phot below is the flip-side to the Cajun Bandit reversible ring.
DSCN8948.JPG

Hope this helps.

Got it! Thanks a lot Jim. I am planning on doing a chicken to break mine in soon. I was thinking I needed to do thisbefore I used it. If I ever get the Ribolator I will do the cut then.

Okay I’m old and dumb so please help me out here. I have a six year old Performer. Checking the previous posts it looks like sometimes it, (the Weber unit), fits and sometimes it doesn’t. Am I correct in assuming the newer Weber Rotisserie units now fit properly without any modifications? Am I better off going with the Cajun Bandit? Frankly I like the idea of a battery powered motor but when I saw CB was charging $35.00 for shipping, Weber is looking good again.

As Always… Thanks!
Rolf

Rolf,
I do not know about the Weber unit, I have the Cajun reversible.
And I do not have a Performer.
I do, however, have the battery operated motor AND i did pay the 35 bucks for shipping. Was not happy to, butt i did. And I glad i have the Bandit for uses on both the kettle grills and the WSM.

Back