Engineering Challenge - Mini WSM

Steve M.

TVWBB Fan
We camp a lot, but bringing the WSM along creates a lot of challenges. With 3 kids and the dog along, space is a premium.
Has anyone thought about making a "mini" smoker out of a Smokey Joe? It could double as the grill and smoker on the camping trip.

I was thinking (dangerous, huh? and on only 1 cup of coffee), of using the top and bottom and fashioning a center section. Once the center is made, making tabs to hold the cooking grates in place shouldn't be too hard, using replacement grills for the SJ.

I'm thinking a 2 grate arrangement would allow for 1 or 2 small butts, 2-3 beer can chickens, etc. Obviously, you would need to feed fuel more often.

That center section is the trick.... alright you engineers and metal smiths.... come up with something.

I just wish Weber made one.

Steve,

You have a good idea there. I do alot of the BBQ competitions and that is basically a better camping trip to me. But I do have to cram items everywhere to get everything needed. My WSM always goes and I usually use it for one catagory only or for myself something to eat. So yes a smaller version of a WSM would be great for me as well. Maybe we can get weber's attention on the matter.

Randy

Steve,

Is the diameter of the WSM much bigger than the Smokey Joe? I'd suggest bringing the WSM and using it as a grill without the center section.

Or try to find a Model 1880 on ebay.

Jim

Jim,

That is exactly what I am looking for. Alas, none on eBay (my guess is there aren't many around). The SJ is listed has having a 14.5" cooking grate, the 1880 a 13.5" grate. So it would be only slightly large.

So... either we try Randy's suggestion and try and get Weber interested or get one of the great minds on this forum to fabricate and sell a SJ "kit" to turn it into a Model 1880 look alike. The 1880 has the advantage of the deep charcoal ring and flanges to hang water pans, grates, etc.

Let's continue to kick this around. This could be more than a niche market, given the number of RVers and campers out there. Remember, it also doubles as a grill.

Call weber and order all the parts for the 1880, they may not make the smoker any more but I would but the odds at 50 / 50 all the parts can be purchased and then you just assemble it yourself. THis would be what people do to get the 26" Weber kettle.

To make a center section just have a fab shop roll you a piece of 18 gauge. Powder coat it yourself using your oven to cure it and you have about 40 bucks in it.

Good luck!

My wife and I agree that we'd smoke more meat if we could make it in smaller batches (she hates leftovers).

So.... I just tried this. No dice. The very nice people on the phone told me they never heard of the 1880 before reading about it on THIS WEBBOARD. She even (perhaps pretended) to go ask coworkers if there were body parts available in a dirty old box in the back of the warehouse... nope :-(

However, I like the idea of modifying a smokey joe by getting a metal ring fabricated. One of the biggest problems (besides perhaps sealing) is that the smokey joe's air intake is directly below where the charcoal would go; it might get clogged with ashes.

Has anyone else done this / found a good mini smoker?

Hey Michael,

I got your email re: WSM Mini. I used the Smokey Joe Gold, as the vents are on the side much like the WSM.

Since I built the first Mini, I've built a few others and assisted friends with Minis of their own. I can tell you from first hand knowledge that the Smokey Joe Silver is not a good choice, as the bottom vents quickly clog with ash, effectively shutting down air flow. You could, however, use a Silver if you drilled out holes on the side like the Gold.

Check out this thread for pics and a summary. I've had some recent interest, so I threw together some notes for a couple of other TVWB members. I'll email you a copy too.

Back