Can you use two ET-7s?

Matt A 3

TVWBB Member
I have a dual-probe Maverick ET-7. I'd like 4 probes so the natural move is to but another ET-7...but don't know if you can use two of the thermometers simultaneously. I was thinking that perhaps the receiver would not know which transmitter was which, or if they all use the same channel and it would be mass electronic confusion.

I realize I can get a Nu-temp that will synch with three transmitters, but I'm trying to do this with another Maverick if I can.

Does anyone know the answer to this?

Thanks,
Matt

I have seen others use two ET-73 on the same WSM with no problem. I would assume that it would also be true with an ET-7. My guess is that each transmitter is calibrated to it's corresponding receiver.

You can get the manuals here.

I wasn't able to get the link directly. Reading the manual it shows that the senders have to be registered with the base unit. It seems as if each sender has it's own identity.

What's funny is that even though the manual was a pdf, it was a pdf of a scanned image of the manual.

Well, funny to me at least.
icon_smile.gif

It seems to imply that the base unit and the transmitter actually re-register with each other each time you turn it on (having owned this thermometer for over a year I can say this was transparent to me although now it makes sense that the trnasmitter and base unit always need to be turned on in a particular order!).

I guess my question is a little different, which is if it uses multiple frequencies / channels. For example, let's say I'm using my thermometer and then turn on another one close by...does the base unit know which transmitter to read? I.e. what's to stop the second transmitter from registering with the first base station?

I guess at BBQ contests there are probably a bunch of people with the same remote thermometer so it probably works, but I want to be sure before I drop $40 on another one of these.

Thx,
Matt

p.s. Russell -- the scanned manual is sort of funny, and also sort of pathetic. For all the "sophistication" of a wireless thermometer, I was pretty amazed how cheap-feeling my Maverick was when I first got it...seems to be a pretty low-end company. Pretty crazy that they are the leader in kitchen thermometers. If thermoworks made something even close to the ET-7 I'd buy it.

They certainly can cross signals. At least the ET-73's can. I know from personal experience. If I'm running multiple ET's I just don't use the receiver. Which of course means I gotta get my lazy butt off the couch to check temps. But at this point that's probably a good thing!
icon_biggrin.gif

It took a few days (almost a week), but I got the following response from Maverick customer service:

"Yes it is possible. As long as you completely sync up each unit separately you won't have an issue."

Not sure exactly what she means by "completely sync up each unit separately".

In any case I was impatient and last week went ahead and bought a NuTemp with 3 transmitters (which I already received). Incidentally the WSM discount is still active with the NuTemp folks and I got the whole package (base unit + 3 transmitters and probes) for $85 inclusive of shipping.

Cheers,
Matt

Back