flat side up or down?

Jay M

Ok here is a really, really, dumb question. I went over to a friends house for dinner and saw that his cast iron grates were upside down. At least I thought. He grills with the sharp side up.

Is there a right or wrong side? Do you flip it for different applications? I have never thought about which side goes up before.

hehehehehe i feel stupid i've been cooking the other way . makes for some big grill marks
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by J Rector:
makes for some big grill marks
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It does and really not an issue for most steaks, but for med rare burgers and fish, there's alot more contact with the flat side and might/could cause some sticking issues when going to flip the food, since cooking time is shortened. Not saying it will but could.
icon_wink.gif
I cook everything to med well so prob would less of an issue for me.

huh, how many years I have been upside down ... hehe ... par for the course. Flat side seemed easier to keep clean though.

There isn't a right or wrong.

I like the wider side up for grill marks. The food also sears a little faster due to transfer of heat.

If I'm doing shrimp, I put pointy side up.

Back