Hot Buttered Rum

Ron G.

TVWBB Wizard
With the weather getting cold, you sometimes need a little something to warm your friends and yourselves up.

This one does the trick!
(I originally found this recipe on the web a few years ago, and "tweaked" the spices a bit.)

1 lb Dark Brown Sugar
1/2 lb unsalted butter chilled & cut into cubes
1 tsp Cinnamon (ground)
1 tsp Cloves (ground)
1 tsp Nutmeg (ground)
1 tsp White Cardamom
Tiny pinch of salt

Good DARK Rum - Myer's works well.

Put all of the stuff above into a food processor, and run it until the mixture turns creamy / is evenly-blended. You can mix it by hand or in a heavy-duty mixer if you don't have a processor.

TO SERVE:
Fill a mug about half-way with HOT water from a tea-kettle or heat it in the microwave.

Add about 3 Tablespoons of the sugar/spice/butter mix

Top with a jigger (adjust to your liking) of Rum

Stir & enjoy

(You can jazz it up with a little fresh-grated Nutmeg on top / serve with a cinnamon stick.)

NOTES:
The "mix" keeps for quite some time (a month or two) if you seal it in an air-tight container, and keep it refrigerated.
Cinnamon - I like Penzey's blended stuff or Saigon Cinnamon (it has a little more hot-cinnamon "zing").

White Cardamom - Penzey's in the pods. It can be a little hard to find, but the White Cardamom is worth the effort. I shell-out the seeds / discard the hulls, and crush/grind the seeds fine in a Mortar & Pestle (it's worth the effort).

Nutmeg - If you have never used whole nutmeg, try it! I used Grenada Nutmeg, grated with a fine razorplane.

I make something very similar to this. The main difference is. I use Allspice instead of the Cardamom.
I'll use a cookie scoop to make serving size balls that are chilled on a sheet of wax paper in the fridge.
After they're chilled down I roll them into balls and then into an air tight container.
We call them "Hot Buttered, Bourbon/Brandy/Rum (Drinkers choice) Balls".
They're perfect for those Chilly Winter evenings.
Sorry, I didn't mean to Rob your post.

Man does this look good. Unfortunately, I am in sober mode as I have to be available to plow snow at a moments notice. This would be a perfect drink on a darn cold Indiana night like this one. Of course, rum is always a favorite.

Back