How long for sausages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Musky-Hunter

TVWBB Member
Had a successful batch of ribs last weekend on my new WSM. Now I want to try new things.

I was at a party two years ago where the host Q'd a bunch of brats and Italian sausages for horsdoeuvres on a NBBD. They were tasty.

How long would it take to do them on a WSM?
How do you check for doneness?

Thanks.

I have cooked fresh Cajun and Swedish Potato sausages in the WSM using a parboiling and smoking method recommended by the butcher that makes them. (By fresh, I mean they are uncooked when I buy them.)

I bring a pot of water to a boil, remove the pot from the heat, put in the sausages and cover the pot. After five minutes, I put them in the WSM and cook at 225*F for two hours. They come out great! I can't remember why the butcher recommends the parboiling...I think it had something to do with preventing the casing from cracking open during cooking.

Obviously, you can this without parboiling, probably somewhere between two and three hours depending on size. I would just cut one open for a visual check of doneness.

Musky Hunter,

I did 6 brats and 6 polish for 2 hours at about 230 ( under a brisket ).

If the sausage is a quality product, which should be a fact of life in Wisconsin ,the casings will stay intact with a wonderful smoked flavor without par-broiling.

In addition, "nuking" them for 1.5 minutes will bring them back to life for days thereafter...regardless of how wrinkled and nasty they may look.

I usually end up "gnawing" on the sausages and freezing the brisket for later use.

Good luck, consider Usingers,they can be ordered on the net unless they are right down the block from you.

Steve in Mpls

( Walleye Hunter )

Thanks guys. I forgot to ask a very important question.... what wood should I consider using for Brats and Italian?

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back