Grilled Stuffed Pork Loin

Paul K

TVWBB Guru
Bought a whole boneless pork loin last week and divided it up into thirds. Chops and Canadian bacon will follow, but this weekend it was stuffed loin.

Marinated about 3 lbs in a flavored brine:

• 3 cups water
• 1 cup honey
• 1/2 cup brown sugar
• 1 onion, thinly sliced
• 4 cloves garlic, crushed
• 2 tablespoon black peppercorns
• 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary
• 3 tablespoon salt
• 1 tablespoon mustard seed
• 1 bay leaf
• 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

That chilled for 24 hours. The next day I prepared the stuffing by dicing some Granny Smith apple and Bosc pear. I added that to some 3 day old baguette and sliced onion, butter and a little rub (see below). Slit the loin down the middle, but not all the way through; opening it like a book. I then slit each half the same way so that the loin would lay fairly flat. I added the stuffing, rolled it back together and tied it up with twine. Rubbed it all the way around with rub:

• dried lemon zest
• dried orange zest
• black pepper
• sage
• kosher salt
• rosemary
• thyme

Went on the WSM with an empty water pan at 350. I wanted to grill this at a medium temp, but indirectly (thus the empty water pan) and I can control the temps easier on the WSM than on my kettle. Cooked until internal hit about 150. Pulled it, tented it for about 10 mins.

It was very moist, very tender and had a great flavor. The fruity stuffing was quite tasty and I find that fruits work well with pork. The rub was fantastic and the combination of it and the subtle sweetness of the brine worked very well together.

I caught pork loin on sale this week, so I had to figure out what to do with it. I'd never grilled one before today. I followed this recipe and absolutely loved it! Thanks for the recipe Paul.

I love tenderloin with apple stuffing but never added pear, I'll have to try that next time. Great looking cook.

Paul this looks great.
The wife wanted me to try this but I was curious how long you grilled it to get it up to an internal temp of 150?

Michael,

I have done two versions HERE and I also a version of THIS . I would say temp has alot to do with time. I probably went 375-400 for 1:45ish. for both cooks. I did the spinich one on the WSM, no wood, no water and was the better of the two. Hope this helps.

I was curious how long you grilled it to get it up to an internal temp of 150?

Michael, I don't recall the exact time, but loins are very lean and thus cook quickly. I'm guessing a little over an hour for this cook. Time will vary based on temp as Kevin states. The main thing is to not over cook the loin as it will start to dry out. The thermo probe is very handy for these type of cooks. I use a remote version and can be doing something else around the house and just wait for the beep when my temp has been reached.

Paul

Thank you thank you thank you for posting these pictures with your recipe.

I made this over the weekend and it absolutely was fantastic. The pork was so moist with that flavored brine, the stuffing went perfect with the pork, I had a few apple chunks left so i threw that in there and the wife told me I can make this for whenever we have company (it was that good.)

Only thing I need to modify on the rub is I am not a fan of rosemary that I will leave that out.

Michael, glad it turned out well. Rosemary can be intense; a little goes a long way. That's what nice about recipes; you can add/delete based on your preferences.

Paul

Paul, I am planning on doing this for a supper club this weekend. I was going to just grill a pork loin but I haven't smoked in three weeks and need a fix! Anyway, did you do it on the top rack and did you use any smoke wood? I was thinking 1-2 smaller chunks of apple might add a nice flavor.

Thanks for the recipe and the feedback!

Back