Cherry Fired Cornish Hens

C. Howlett

TVWBB Super Fan
Adapted from a Cook'n Cajun, i.e. Brinkmann, Water Smoker Cookbook recipe. The skin isn't as crunchy as I would like, so I will experiment with brining and/or spatchcocking before the smoke.

2 Cornish Hens
1 Pound Can Bing cherries, 1/2 cup juice reserved
1 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
1/4 cup orange marmalade
1/4 cup apricot reserves
1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon powdered chipotle or habanero chile powder

Wash hens and pat dry. Combine 1/2 cup cherry juice, cornstarch, marmalade, chile powder and preserves in a saucepan. Heat mixture slowly until thickened and cool slightly. Brush mixture liberally on hens. Place hens on smoker grid and brush once during cooking. Just before serving heat sauce and add drained cherries. Pour cherry sauce over hens to serve.

Smoke approximately 2 hours. Best with fruit or maple wood for smoke.

This sounds delicious. Do you cook these whole, or split them? I would assume whole especially if these are "real" or normal-sized cornish hens.

In that case, I would think these would be really nice served with a stuffing or dressing of wild rice and either dried cherries or maybe even dried cranberries, and maybe almonds or pecans.

It would be interesting to experiment with lightly-stuffed birds on the smoker. I think I'll try your recipe as soon as I can start smoking regularly. Thanks for sharing - sounds very tasty.

I have been known to mount the birds on stands. This is really fun at the beach where everyone else is burning burgers and dogs. About 60 minutes in, the aroma is delicous and the birds turn a beautiful brown/red/purple shade.

I've also tried the split version. Both are goodl

Back