WSM on Trex decking

BrianJohnson

I just got a new 18.5 WSM for Christmas and finally got it setup and I'm getting ready to smoke my first meat this weekend. I have a trex deck and was wondering if it is OK to use the WSM on it.

Should I put something under it to protect my deck from heat/stains? My father-in-law said I should get a a metal mat for working under cars and put that down. Thanks for the help.

I would HIGHLY recommend some sort of grill mat under the WSM. I think you can find a nice round mat. I've seen people on here with pictures of their WSM on top of a round grill mat.

better to be safe than sorry.
I'm lucky enough to stumble upon this platform made of stainless.
also, the heat shield tends to "catch" WSM droppings and notice the small hole in the center of that heat shield? those droppings drip thru the hole and on your nice trex decking.

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I need to find some sort of drip catch. I think the trex should be OK to smoke on, but since I've never used a WSM, I don't know how hot it gets below the heat dish.

Brian this site has deck protectors of various shape/sizes, too
icon_wink.gif

Just found out from Trex that it is tested to 125 degrees in the field. Do you think it gets hotter than that under the 2009 WSM?

On older model WSMs, sans heat shield, yeah, for sure.... on the 2009-10 models, I think it may, esp on <span class="ev_code_RED">hot</span> days...probably better safe than sorry
icon_mad.gif

Brian, I wouldn't do it. All you need is one hot coal to drop from your charcoal chimney or the smoker and you've ruined an expensive floor. I'd put some kind of barrier underneath,allowing plenty of slop room. Same thing for your chimney,put it on a safe cover of some kind.

I use an oil drip tray, the type sold by auto parts stores to put under your car. About 2' by 3' and 8 or 9 bucks.

Back