Grilled Sea Scallops

Ray Crick

TVWBB Emerald Member
Recently someone asked about a recipe for scallops. This is our favorite. I know a lot of folks don’t care for mesquite but the flavor here is very subtle (the grill time is very short) and adds tremendously to the overall taste. Recipe is below.

Enjoy.

Ray

Ray’s Grilled Scallops

1-lb large sea scallops
1 tbs evoo
MMHP sauce (see below)
2 tbs your favorite rub (my wife’s is listed below)
Mesquite chips for gasser or (chunks for charcoal)

Marinade
2 tbs evoo
¼ cup tequila
Juice of 1 lime (note – zest lime before squeezing)
4 garlic cloves – minced
zest of the lime

Mix marinade ingredients and place scallops in marinade for 20 to 30 minutes.

Remove scallops from marinade and place in bowl. Sprinkle 1 tbs evoo and the rub over them and toss to lightly coat.

Heat grill until grate is as hot as you can get it. Grill scallops with mesquite chips in smoker box (about 2 to 3 minutes per side depending on size).

Serve with the sauce.

MMHP Sauce

MMHP Sauce = Mustard, Mayonnaise, Horseradish, and Pepper (Roaster Red Pepper)
Mix together and chill the following:

4 parts pureed roasted red peppers (jars are okay if you don’t want to grill your own)
4 parts mayonnaise
1 part prepared horseradish
1 part grainy mustard

Terri's Favorite Rub

6 tbs paprika
2 tbs freshly ground black pepper
2 tbs salt
1 tbs chili powder
2 tsp. brown sugar
3 pinches cayenne pepper

Mix together and store in fridge.

Thanks for what looks like a great recipe. I can't wait to try it out. The only time I tried grilling scallops they ended up tasting like Kingsford. Oops!

I will let you know how these turn out.

Tim,

Let me know - my wife and I love these. Biggest caution is to not cook them too long.
Enjoy,

Ray

Second the cooing time. You really only want about 2 minutes oer side over a hot fire. They should still be translucent in the center.

Ray,

I came across this recipe after I had cooked some scallops for my wife on Mother's Day. I noticed it's been out here a while but I just didn't bother to look for a new recipe.

What I did is similar, I have a cuban cookbook that has some things I found work great for seafood. I tinker around with them.

I crushed up about 30 cloves of garlic (not really but I didn't really pay attention to the amount). Instead of rub substitute cumin. Some parley, kosher salt and ground pepper.

For the liquids I used a proportion of about two whole limes to 1/2 cup Olive Oil proportionately. and some apple cider vinegar.

Yesterday I mixed it all together and marinated for les than 30 minutes. but somtimes I take the garlic, cumin, parsley (or cilantro) salt & pepper and crush it in a morter. If I do that then I'll take the paste and rub it on the seafood. Then come in and marinate with the liquids later.

This works well on Grouper, King Mackerel, Mahi or tuna as well. There is also a vinagrette that goes with this but I didn't do it for the scallops mostly do that for fish. Have not tried it on redfish or red snapper but I would guess it would be good on them.

I have cooked it on gas and charcoal but I think it is much better over charcoal. Yesterday I even threw a few small chunks of mesquite on the coals.

This turns out nice though.

Back