Grates: 7mm SS vs 9mm SS vs 11mm vs PCI

G

Hey Folks -- I'd love to hear an opinion on the worthiness of the new 7mm welded-rod SS grates.

I know the 9mm SS on the Summit are the real deal. Those things are HEAVY-duty. But the 7mm SS grates shipping on the S-320 make me wonder. That's just a hair more than 1/4" and not really much more heft that you see on a low-end Jenn-Air or something.

Between the 9mm grates and PCI grates, I'd take the 9mm any time. But when you compare them against those skinny little 7mm grates. I'd think the PCI is really the way to go. Aside from clean up, which is pretty much a non-issue anyway for a regular griller PCI must have the 7mm beat for searing performance/heat retention and the like.

Anybody who has used the 7mm grates want to chime in with real info? I'd be more than happy to stand corrected!
icon_rolleyes.gif

Cheers!

The stainless grates on the S-320 are pretty heavy duty. Never used the 9mm grates, so I can't compare to those. The 320 can be preheated to a very hot temp and the grates will sear nicely. They are also easy care.

When I'm cooking some really thick steaks and want an especially heavy sear, I have a Lodge cast iron grill grate that I preheat in the grill. The grates on the bottom side are thicker, so turn it upside down and set it on my ss grates. It provides an immediate dark sear, and is easy to store inside so it doesn't rust.

thanks Debbie -- that's some good info. If you ever have a chance to crack open an older Summit, do. Those 9mm monster grates are worth a looksie.

The way it was explained to me and I think that Joe Osborn could perhaps confirm is that the BTU output on the Genesis is lower than on the Summit. The SS rods were decreased in size because of this to enable quicker heating to max temperature. I prefer the 7 mm rods as they gev a better and thinner sear marks and return to heat quicker.

Regards

Hmmm...that does make sense. Thanks. Maybe Joe will chime in, too?

Cheers!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phil Hartcher:
... the BTU output on the Genesis is lower than on the Summit. The SS rods were decreased in size because of this to enable quicker heating to max temperature. ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm betting the reason is simple economics. The 7mm grates are cheaper than the 9mm, and they come on the cheaper model.

FWIW - as I recall when Weber turned the "old Genesis" into the "new Genesis" the BTU was upped in line with the increase in grate area.

However the real issue here is how you are cooking - I have been thinking about this a lot lately, being the very grateful(pun not intended) recipient of PCI grates for my old Genesis and wondering whether to use one on my kettle.

In my mind the best bit of grilling is the radiant heat from the coals or flavouriser bars with the grate merely holding the food at the appropriate distance. However there is a bit of "frying" by conducted heat also involved where the grate is in contact with the food and that's what gives the sear marks and flavours.
So what's the ideal grate size? (and pitch/gap) to get the mix of cooking methods (and does this differ from gas to charcoal).

I mull this one over regularly and have a variety of grill setups to play with - a chunky Kamado s/s grate that fits on my kettle, a standard Weber grate, a PCI Genesis grate in a wire holder.

I see that Weber now sells s/s replacement grate for the kettles that must be even thinner. My guess is that the heavier duty isn't worth it but it may be a matter of taste. It should also be borne in mind that stainless isn't a great heat conductor - saucepans usually have an aluminium core to spread the heat.

I saw a new fancy Weber summit in a grill showroom here in the UK and the proprietor suggested I lift the grates, as he put it "they're like manhole covers"!

Back