I pulled the trigger!! Now It's Here!!!

Lee Morris

TVWBB Fan
New 22" set to ship from Amazon on March 2nd! Used Chris' link to Amazon, of course.

My plan for the first cook is to go out and get the longest slabs of ribs I can find and just stand back and smile as I see them fit easily on that gigantic 22" cooking grate
icon_biggrin.gif

I haven't broken the news to my 18.5" yet...so keep this quiet for now
icon_cool.gif

You're making me jealous, Lee. I'd love to have both an 18" and 22" WSM. Ah well, the 18" will do for now. Have fun with the 22"!

Lee, Congrats on the 22. Noticed you are from Huntsville too. Small world in the bbq arena. I just got my first Weber. Also I just heard from the Whistle Stop and it is already full. Actually, I am number 5 on the waiting list and it is just Feburary! They need to move it to a bigger spot. Anyway what is your team name? Take care.

Jack,

I think I am probably a spot or two behind you on the waiting list for the Whistle Stop Shadetree Division. I couldn't believe it was full either.

As far as a team name, I don't really have one as this would be my first competition if I get in. It will be something similar to my signature line below. And it's stretching it to call it a team anyway. My cooking "team" consists of me and my 6 year old who likes to help out whenever I cook at home. Something tells me he's not competition ready. If I get in, I'll be looking for some help.

Do you know of any smaller BBQ competitions in Huntsville? Like maybe some church sponsored thing or something? Since I've never been in any comps, that might be a better place to start than jumping right into Whistle Stop.

Thanks for any info.

By the way, just got my shipment confirmation from Amazon. It shipped early!!!

Chris,
I hear you. My cooking team consists of me (been in a few competitions) and 4 new guys from my church that have been wanting to get into cooking at comps. I would encourage you to jump into Whistle Stop. It is a great time and a lot of nice folks. It was my first and I learned alot in 2 days! Look us up if you come or enter in the competition. Jack (Pigcasso)

I'll be there for sure, even if I'm not cooking.

That may actually be the better thing for me anyway. I have a LOT to learn about comps. I haven't been to one since I really got into smoking, so I've never really paid enough attention. Guess I'll have to learn real quick if I actually get to enter!

Got my 22 today from Amazon! Amazingly quick service. Ordered on late afternoon of 2/23, shipped out on 2/25, got it 2/27. And that was with FREE shipping. Great job by Amazon.

Now, the good, the bad, an oops, and a question.

The good, besides the obvious, is that mine is perfectly round! My 18 inch middle section has been out of round since the day I got it. This one fits perfectly!

The bad...my door was atrocious. Probably a 1/2 inch gap on one side when I first put it on. I worked with it until my fingers hurt too much. It's almost ok now.

The oops: I forgot to order some more Guru Eyelets when I ordered the WSM. Now I can't decide whether to put it all the way together now or wait for the eyelets to come in. I can't cook for the next few days so I'll probably wait.

Now the question. I suppose this should have gone under the bad section. As many have mentioned, the tabs on the vents hit the charcoal grate pretty badly. What's the best way to remove those tabs? Will they just snap off with pliers? I didn't want to try it until I had some reassurance from others.

Overall, I am VERY happy!!! Can't wait to cook in it!

Back