Closing top vent

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

When we were at the Shannon IL. cookoff we spoke with two teams that were using 4 WSMs each. I noticed that each WSM had the top vent partially shut. Some were closed more than others, none were completly shut.
Everthing I have ever read on any forum says to leave the vent open. Didn't these guys know what they were doing? or is there a time for finer temp control by adjusting the top vent also?

Good Smokin'
Dan

Dan
You can get away with closing top vent as described later in a cook after you've finished putting smoke on the meat. As long
as you are burning only carcoal it wouldn't
be to risky. While burning wood I'd recomend that you leave the top vent open.
Jim

Dan,

I have found that I must partially close my top vent to control my heat. My little unit has been through a lot(tornado included!!) and I know it is out of round. So, the only way for me to control the heat is to close ALL bottom vents and then if the temp still climbs, I dial down the top vent. After all...the ECB's have NO vents....top or bottom.

Having said that, follow Jim's advice!! Keep that vent wide open when your adding your smoke wood! This will eliminate any chance of creosote.

Stogie

Same here, my cooker always seems to want to run in the 250 - 260 range when I use a full load of Kingsford and no water in the water pan or when I do not use the "Minion" method. Therefore, I do partially close down the top vent for short periods of time to get the temp down in the cooker. However, I never do this when I have a lot of smoke coming out of the cooker. Normally, after the first hour, there is no visible smoke coming out of the top vent.

SC Que

SC Que
I don't see 250-260* as a problem, your still
in Q'n temp range.
Those of cook direct cook at higher temps than that and turn out good Q.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back