Smokey Joe Mini is finished...

Gerry Speirs

TVWBB Member
I finised up the build today and done a test run without any meat just to see how the temps hold out. I filled the Weber with 30 peices of K and 12 in the chimney for a minion method start. I started at 2pm and heres how the temps went.
3.20=243
3.40=180
3.50=167, closed vent
4.05=216 vent open half way
4.30=219
4.40=207
5.00=221
5.43=221
6.40=252
7.10=237
8.10=174
9.10=136

Im pretty happy with the way the temps went for the first time. I never added any more coal and never messed with any ash build up. I think I could get more than 7 hours from the mini if I added more coal but I purposely left this alone most of the time to see how it performed. All in all just what I need for camping, Im well pleased and as always this site is key for amazing tutorials and instruction
Thanks!!!!

galette012.jpg

galette013.jpg

galette010.jpg

galette009.jpg

Gerry - you may want to put your thermo somewhere else> I've seen pics of a melted thermo transmitter from being placed on the lid during a cook.

My solution: I replaced the center screw in the handle of my SJG with a longer screw and put a fender washer between the screw and the SJG handle. My et7 transmitter unit has magnets on the back. So when I cook with my mini smoker, I stick the transmitter to the fender washer. Keeps it far enough from the lid to prevent melting
icon_smile.gif

Ok, I know these are dumb questions, but Im about to build one. What size holes did you cut, and did you cut holes under where the watcher sits? Also is there enough room to put another rack for more food?

No question is ever dumb,but I need to know what the Watcher is. Do you mean the steam tray? I have two racks in the smoker and I do believe some people have tried 3 but 2 is good for me.
Good luck, I love it!!

Dang iPhone auto correct. Yeah I meant water/steamer tray. How far apart are your racks and did you use the strainer that came with the pot? What size holes did you drill in the bottom of the pot?

Bode, I cut the bottom out of the pot and then sat the original steamer tray on top of the cut hole, Then I drilled another set of holes around the outer edge of the steamer tray just because my pie dish seemed to be covering all the other holes, not sure if this is a big deal or not though? The holes I drilled are prob about 1/4 inch. The base grate sits on top of the pie pan and the top grate is about 4 inches from the top.

I drilled 3 screw holes in the indent at the bottom and 3 at the top .I split the difference for the 3 center holes.

3 racks for ribs or chicken.Or 2 racks for butts.

Back