Char Q ?

Guy Wallace

TVWBB Super Fan
Why does this little grill seem to be so unpopular ? Other than the price its a nice grill built like a tank IMO !

Won't rust out nice grates small compact . It seems to get NO respect so much so its not even included in the chart on this forum for the Q . Being as it is a Q .

It seems to be the size of a 200 series Q with 2 grates 280 sq inches of cooking space . We want a small charcoal cooker for the times only charcoal will do and The Char Q thou a tad on the expensive side $159.00 at Walmart or Amazon IMO is a great value the Q grills in genral are really bulit very well .

Guy - I indeed think it the price, and perhaps the perception, by those who look beyond the price that the charcoal grate is so close to the cooking grates that it somehow makes it hard to control? (That's speculation.)

I really enjoy mine - I cook on it in my regular cooking "rotation" and I've never failed to get a great cook off of it. I added a Weber thermometer, of questionable accuracy, and that makes it a bit more comfortable for me to use. (I'll check the accuracy of the thermometer when I get a chance).

The Char Q also is a miser on Charcoal. I generally cook for 2 so I don't need the entire cooking grate for food. I put coals over the right hand side of the charcoal grate and set up a two zone fire, and one small (smaller than a Weber) chimney of Stubbs or Duraflame briquettes will last for several cooks.

And those cast iron grates are easy to care for and are KILLER when it comes to searing and grill marks.

Maybe we should launch a "Weber Char Q" Appreciation thread!

If you don't have one, and don't mind the price, then I highly recommend the Char Q.

Pat

I think Iam going to get one and just bite the bullet on the price ! We are empty nesters most of the time cooking for 2 and my wife B@#$%^ when I don't use charcoal .
I sometimes get lazy and just fire up my Q100
icon_smile.gif
This will fit our pistol I think and last longer than me I think so in the long run it a be cheape IMO . 2 zone fire and looks to me like you can cook for 2 easy and do about any kind of cook .

easy to store away and big enough for everyday cooking . cheap on coal . What else could you ask for except maybe CI grates well it has them :O)

I bought one and love it. It fits my old gas Q stands and I take it on trips or for a quick sear. Having the charcoal so close to the food can be an advantage to, such as with searing steaks.

Gary

Ya Iam gona get one just trying to wait and see IF I can find a deal at seasons end here is all ! I love my gas Q and also like coal but don't always wana fire up the beast for 2 of us . So the Char Q looks like the way to go .

Hopen for a deal soon . Hey I can hope if not I will just buy the thing end of Octtober or so .

I was looking on the Weber site for more information on this little grill, but couldn't find it. Hopefully, it hasn't been discontinued.

Are the grates really cast-iron or are they porcelain coated also. I don't think I have the desire to maintain cast-iron to prevent rust. I'm just lazy.

My understanding is that the Char Q has been discontinued. If you can find one, you might want to grab it as it will be harder and harder to find.

I have one and think it works very well for certain things. For long, indirect cooking where you're having to add charcoal every hour, it's not the best choice. But for high or medium direct heat cooks, and shorter indirect heat cooks it's hard to beat. It's also a miser on fuel, so it tends to keep its heat for a while. You do have to keep your eye on it as the charcoal is closer to the grates than other Weber charcoal grills, but if you do watch it, it cooks very well. It's also built like a tank and the grates leave wonderful grill marks.

again, as i said before, its the price that killed it. we weber heads might appreciate it but the general public usually sees the price and walks away.

Just picked on up on clearance for $50.

have cooked a couple things on it, chicken, burgers, brats and steak.

My thoughts are similar to the above, not too good with indirect, but for direct grill, it is perfect. It reminds me alot of the Aussie type grills that can sear the heck out of things, but a bit of a PITA to go indirect.

A place in Ohio called The Andersons. It's like a hardware store and grocery store in one. They usually have a large outdoor selection.

i'd sure jump on one for that price. i'm hoping to find one this year. still need to find one for a certain somebody in australia !

I checked with Andersons. They're on sale for $70, not $50. Still not a bad deal, but 40 percent more than earlier posted.

I have a Q220, plus a patio charcoal and gasser. The Char Q would only be used for tailgating and I'm questioning whether I need both a mobile gas and Char Q.

I'll be in Columbus tomorrow and will look at them, but right now I'm leaning toward not getting another tailgating unit. One might just be enough.

Your thoughts?

please, one needs at least one of every model and color. just think of all those nights yer gonna be awake thinking "i shoulda, i shoulda"!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Eric:
I checked with Andersons. They're on sale for $70, not $50. Still not a bad deal, but 40 percent more than earlier posted. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Check when you get to the store. They may have floor models or other discounts, like beer and patio/outdoor purcahse with rebate. Mine was red-tagged at $49.90 three weeks ago.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Your thoughts? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What you're really getting is a really good hibatchi. The charcoal is just too close to the grate for anything else. I'm thinking of having a asian BBQ party this summer by putting the grill on a picnic table, taking the lid off (to allow grilling from all sides), and providing sates, short ribs, and vegetables on skewers and letting folks grill their own.

I checked The Andersons today and looked at the Char Q. Although the $70 price was great and the unit looked like it would be fun, I decided not to buy it.

My Redhead Q220 will stay as my lone tailgating grill and I'll reserve charcoal grilling for the patio Performer.

So, suprisingly, restraint wins the day. Yes George, I have the sickness . . . just not as bad as you.
icon_wink.gif

Snow and ice will likely melt here this weekend. Time to fire-up the grill!

I think for most people price is the main issue. when a portable charcoal grill is priced the same as a OTG it is a hard thing to justify. Plus being the size of a 200 series it is not all that portable either. For portablity folks want cost effective and conveinient, I don't think it offers either. I would go with the SJ series or go anywhere series in a heart beat.

Back