Espresso machine

Jeff Wildrick

TVWBB Fan
About 12 years ago we bought a Capresso 2000, Super-automatic espresso machine and steamer. It grinds, tamps, and brews the coffee, and makes lots of steam for the milk. Our single most used kitchen gadget. But, every few years it has needed to go back to the factory for various repairs.

Last night it died again, and we're wondering if it's time to get a new one. Each repair is a straight $150. New machines cost $800 and up.

Suggestions?

Jeff

PS - One requirement for us is what they call a "bypass doser." This allows you to brew a regular cup of coffee (or two) using coffee grounds, rather than using the beans in the machine's hopper. Since there are two of us, we'd like a machine that will make 2 cups of coffee at once, using the doser.

I bought a Saeco espresso machine from Starbucks ten years ago. The machine is used everyday of the week, and I have not had any problems with it over the years. However, it is not as sophisticated as yours, but it is a high quality machine. I would take a look at the models that Starbucks sells, because the seem to be reasonably priced.

This is a topic that I really get into as well. I am thinking about pulling the trigger on a high end espresso machine as well. I don't think I want a super automatic though. Check out www.coffeegeek.com and see if there is something there that suits your needs. It was recommended to me just a few weeks ago, by one of our members here, and I have loved perusing the site and learning more about coffee.

You'll probably get all the info and advice you want there.

Ok... my wife and I just can't go too long without our espresso. We called Jura Capresso, the manufactures of our now dead machine, to find out actual repair costs. Now it's $200, with a 90 day guarantee. They told us that it's probably time to upgrade, and we agree.

They offered us two options. A Jura Capresso E8, which is kind of a more up-to-date version of our current machine, refurbished but with a full 1 year guarantee, would be $455. Retail is $899. Reviews are so-so, with lots of quality control issues.

They also offered us an S8. List is $2500. Retail (Amazon) is $1999. They'll sell it to us for $949. According to the review on coffeegeek.com it is an awsome machine - their favorite super-automatic. (They prefer manual machines, overall, but admit that they use the S9 in their office. The S9 is a fancier version, but the guts are the same as the S8.)

So, we decided that Christmas is early this year and ordered the S8. A very very nice sounding machine that we hope will last us a long long time.

Coffee party, anyone?

Jeff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom Chips:
This is a topic that I really get into as well. I am thinking about pulling the trigger on a high end espresso machine as well. I don't think I want a super automatic though. Check out www.coffeegeek.com and see if there is something there that suits your needs. It was recommended to me just a few weeks ago, by one of our members here, and I have loved perusing the site and learning more about coffee.

You'll probably get all the info and advice you want there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yea, I've spent many hours over at coffeegeek.com very worthwhile site - much like this one only for coffee. I pulled the trigger on a Rancilio Silvia and then did the PID mod.....very, very pleased with the decision (especially since I got it just before 2 quick major price increases thanks to the dollar falling against the euro and the increased cost of stainless steel).

My feeling is that I should always buy the highest quality that I can afford. Sometimes the highest quality isn't the most expensive, and high prices are just bells and whistles. Sometimes I just have to settle for less than the best because I can't afford it. But, especially when buying something I'll use frequently and for many years, I try to get the best - whether a WSM, Vitamix, or espresso machine. At this point I'm pretty sure that the Jura Capresso S8 I've ordered is a high quality, consumer espresso machine. It's possible to spend more, but it seems that the extra dollars would buy bells and whistles.

Hope it comes soon!

I've seen a few Rancilio Silvia's going on eBay with the PID mod already set up, from $600-$800 or so. I've been tempted. I certainly wouldn't want to attempt something like that on my own.

Jeff - I agree...I try to buy the best (often second best because the best is so damn expensive)....with high end espresso machine it often comes down to very minor points, most all in the price range you are looking at are fine machines as long as one stays with an established manufacturer...

Tom - the PID mod was not that difficult at all. Instructions were great, I took my time, took about 90 minutes, works like a charm...maybe over the top but I like it...

I'm going to have to have a few more shots from a good quality machine, and a well trained barista ie, not Starbucks, before I drop $800 on equipment. I love latte's and stuff like that, but I want to understand the complexities of good straight espresso first.

I went to Ritual Coffee in San Francisco about a week ago, and had the best coffee in my entire life. The had the Clover as well. The shots pulled on their Lamarzocco was quite different to say the least. I had no idea you could fit that much flavor and body in that small of a volume.

I might have to go today to give it a try again.

I thought you coffee fiends might enjoy a review of our new Jura Capresson S8 fully-automatic coffee machine.

As you remember, we just upgraded from a C2000 that was about 8 years old. The new S8 arrived gleaming silver and fit exactly in the space of the old C2000. In fact, at first glance the two machines look almost exactly alike other than one being black and the other silver. Capresso has clearly built new features into an old (and well-designed) box, rather than starting from scratch in the S line of machines.

To cut to the chase, I love it. The changes that have been made are huge.

1) Programming. The front panel has four coffee buttons. Small single cup, small two cups, large single cup, large two cups, and "special." Each of these buttons can be individually programed to regulate the amount, strength, and temperature of the coffee they produce. For instance, we like a very strong shot of espresson for making our cappucinos. So, we've programmed the small cup buttons to make a strong shot of very hot espresso. Just touch the button and the burr grinder begins to whir, grinding just the amount of coffee we've programed. A few bumps and whirs, and out comes the coffee directly into our mugs. Now push the steam button. With no delay the steam wand produces lots of steam to heat and foam our milk, that we then pour into the coffee for a perfect treat.

Want hot water for tea? Turn a little nob and the spout sends a pre-determined (and programable) amount of hot water into the mug for a nice cuppa.

We also like "regular" coffee, so we've programmed the large cup buttons for a nice 6 ounce cup. Open a trap door on the top of the machine, scoop in one or two scoops of our favorite regular grind, press the bypass button and the large cup button, and out comes a tasty cup of American style coffee. We don't like this to be quite as hot as our espresso, so we've programmed a slightly cooler cup.

One of the pains of our old C2000 was having to descale it every month or so. You had to use a particular brand of solution and it took 45 minutes in which you had to be present for several complicated steps. The S8 has a Claris water filter that completely eliminates the need to descale the machine. The cost is comperable with the cleaning fluid, but the water tastes better and there is no long inovolved process to go through every month.

This is simply a fantastic machine. Of course, it should be at the price, and I'm glad we got a bargain on a reconditioned model. The S7 and S9 are basically the same machine with a few more or less bells and whistles.

Expensive? Yes. But so are daily trips to Starbucks. And frankly, the S8 makes better coffee!

Happy Thanksgiving all.

Jeff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Don Irish:
Yea, I've spent many hours over at coffeegeek.com very worthwhile site - much like this one only for coffee. I pulled the trigger on a Rancilio Silvia and then did the PID mod.....very, very pleased with the decision (especially since I got it just before 2 quick major price increases thanks to the dollar falling against the euro and the increased cost of stainless steel). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

*************UPDATE*************

Did a total kitchen remodel and included a major upgrade for espresso. Izzo Alex Duetto II double boiler, duel PID control, plumbed in...very, very cool and makes outstanding espresso.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by m raschko:
A good place to go for info on various machines is http://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/.

That said... I have to confess that I wussed out and bought a Nespresso instead of a Rancillio. The wife would never have used the Rancillio. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That rancilio would have changed your life! For the better. I have had mine for 5 years and can't live without it. The differnce between a Nespresso and the Silvia is uncomparable but I agree about the ease of use factor for the wife. Why not get both?

Now that is serious machine you have there. If I wasn't the only one in my family that drank coffee, I would have gone with something like you have. Pulling and steaming at the same time is such a treat.
Thanks for sharing.

Going to chime in quickly. I love espresso and all drinks made from it. I was a world class barista (no joke). However, I've just never had the room for a top notch machine in my kitchen. I do, but I already have enough BS on my countertops, and I'm already irritated by it. However, I got a Nespresso (made my Nestle) as a gift. It uses pods, which instantly made me skeptical, but it produced a marvelous shot (or double) with a beautiful, persistent, and uniform crema that stands up to any shot of espresso I've had. Add in a milk frother by Breville, and it's a low cost set up than anyone can appreciate.
icon_smile.gif

I can't believe what I am reading from a world class barista. Nespresso being as good as a real espresso machine? How can that be?
All the variables that make up a great shot are not there with a pod machine. One can not use freshly roasted beans, can't adjust the grind, can't control the temp nor the tamp. I have had a shot from the nespresso machine and it's good and I would gladly drink it but there is no way it can compare to the shots I can pull with my rancilio.
If you are right then I'm selling my Silvia and grinder and buying me one.

Back