Newbie Question

Hello. I wanted to buy another smoker and I am looking at the 2820 on Amazon for $299. and the 721001 for $259.99. Is the 2820 the older of the two models? I'm confused. What is the difference besides price? Thank you, Pigcasso

Yes, the 2820 is the older version. The newer one has the heat shield at the bottom, temp gauge pre-installed, larger water pan, modified charcoal grate...

i bought a 2820 last august(a couple weeks before they announced the new 22) then turned right around and got the 22 wsm in december.to me its well worth the $100 for the extra room.
you might not think you will need the room now but more than likely eventually you will.in several years the extra $100 will be long forgotten but everytime you put a monster brisket or chuck roll or a lot of st louis style ribs on you'll be very glad you got the 22.
i just wish i had bought once, but my buddy at work is probably glad i didnt. i think im safe that its more than 6 months before they come out with a bigger one this time

Tim, you are exactly right about that. Actually, I am buying the 18 just to cook chichen thigh on for competitions. I have a lang tailer rig to cook other stuff on. Now if I could just get some "bailout money"!

Jack, I was looking just yesterday, as well. Today, the cost is $299 for the new WSM.

We should have "jumped" on them yesterday.

Mark

Actually I did! $259.99 deliver to my front door. When it gets here that is. Sometimes it pays to jump and it looks like yesterday was the day. No so lucky in the stock market.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Thanks,
I ordered it on the afternoon of the 17th, it was shipped on the 18th and will be delivered by Fedex on Friday the 20th. Then it will be cooking on Saturday morning. Life is good.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Got it on friday. Put it together on Friday night. Seasoned it on Sat morning and cooked 25 chicken thighs. The smoker is a s good as they say. I'm stoked. Will do ribs and Boston butt this week.

WTG, Jack! Glad to hear the results. I'm assuming that the assembly was a snap?

How did you prep the chicken thighs? How long did they smoke?

I'll be there soon. No rush before it stays above freezing.

Merrill

Assembly was very easy, everthing fit perfect. No complaints.

Chicken Time / Process

Prepare Chicken Trim chicken thighs with scissors (not too much though because the skin shrinks).

Paul Newman's Own (Olive Oil and Vinegar) in a heavy zip lock bag for about an hour.

Remove to tray / My rub seasoning. Season the skin side and under lightly. Leave skin intact.

Start Smoker.

Smoke them, skin side up, between 280 and 300 degrees until they reach 175*.

Start Grill.

Check for adjustment in temperature to reach175*.

Check internal temp till 175 degrees (about 3 hours) Tent in foil to hold temp.

Oil grill grates cold / add grate to hot grill.

Sauce / glaze on skin side on hot grill for about 2 minutes.

Sauce the meat side while they are skin side down on the grill.

Turn over sauce and bake on sauce.

Back