Weber Wood Chip Soaker

Rob M

TVWBB Super Fan
Any of you use this? You add the chips then screw down top onto chips, add water and they dont float. Nice little Weber designed product.
IMG_2910.jpg

The concept is great BUT isn't the general consensus that soaking does nothing?

Water barely penetrates the wood (after all, boats were originally made of wood with none of the fancy finishes we have today) so it would "steam off" right quick.

I'd rather put the cost of that gizmo into another case of fine brew.

Thanks for the look-see though.

it helps to soak chips for sure. chips ignite and burn up really fast.

for wood chunks, i haven't been soaking. I seen chris's video where he shows that soaking does nothing; however i don't think that's very scientific.

some day i'll do some testing and comparing with soaked chunks vs not

regarding the soaker, seems cool. if the price was right i might get one. otherwise a tupperware container with lid works fine for me.

I have one just because, and I like it for Mesquite chips, I don't get that hellfire hot flare up when I put them on.

I have one and yes, it does work. You have to use small chips not chunks and soak them for about an hour. It helps the chips smolder and give off smoke rather than just burn up.

When you burn wood and starve it for oxygen it will burn slowly and give off lots of smoke. You build a ripping hot fire of 1500-2000 deg F and there will be only a couple things from that fire. Heat, CO2, water vapor and some ash. Soaking the chips completely basically makes a barrier keeping the oxygen and wood from complete combustion.

I am not 100% sure but I think it comes with hickory by the looks and smell of the wood.

Back