SJS from CL, can handle be installed?

Wayne E.

TVWBB Member
Picked up an SJS off CL for $15. Used twice then owners were informed they can't have charcoal grill at apartment.

Not sure what I'm going to do with it, maybe mini smoker, chimney holder, home grill, or travel grill.

I would prefer to use this one when rv'ing/camping but the lack of a locking lid is kind of a deal breaker for me.

Can the parts be purchased to do this at a cost effective cost, or am I better of just buying a new SJG (I've never seen SJG's on our CL).

Thanks

I just ordered the following parts from Weber for my SJS:

Notched handle top (that holds the lid lock)

Lid lock support (x2, my SJG didn't come with one)

Lid lock

Total with shipping came to like $21. Since you would only need one lid lock support, the price would drop to $18. Is it financially worth it compared to buying a SJG... probably not. Bungee cords are a lot more cost effective. The killer here was Weber's shipping cost. Without shipping the parts are $11 to do the conversion. You will have to claim you have a Gold model or else they won't sell you the parts. You will also need to drill two holes in your SJS in order for the lid lock "handle" to attach.

I'm not convinced it's "worth the money" but I just wanted something a little different. Plus, if I have to move in a hurry, I dont need to worry about melting a bungee cord on the side of my grill.

Thanks for the reply.

I've done the bungee cord thing and will not be doing that again. I'll go with a different brand portable charcoal grill or the SJG before I use bungee cords again.

I wonder if my local Ace would/could order these parts to the store and I could pick them up there? I know they have done that for me with parts for other products they offer but do not stock in the store.

I'm must be looking in the wrong place because I don't see the parts you listed on the weber site. I'm looking here under replacement parts.
http://store.weber.com/parts/charcoal/oa.aspx

Thanks

My dislike for bungee cords stems from their use on our farm for various tasks. They don't weather well, the new style are very weak, violent when the break, never seem to be the right length without a bunch of wraping or over-stretching to make them work, when they break down and disintegrate over time they leave little bits and pieces all over the place, they can get caught up in the farm equipment.

Much prefer ratchet straps and have eliminated the use of bungee's on the place for the most part.

With regard to the SJ I would prefer a solid, integrated mechanical lid lock over the use of bungee's. I like not having yet more separate parts to manage. I have a weber propane portable that uses the legs for a lid lock and it works well. I like being able to grab the unit with one hand and know the thing is solid.

I couldn't wait for the parts to arrive, so I stole the lid lock off my SJG and installed it in my SJS last night. I have to say, I'm rather satisfied with the result. If you get the parts, you won't be disappointed, so long as you drill the holes in the right place.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shawn Dillon:
I couldn't wait for the parts to arrive, so I stole the lid lock off my SJG and installed it in my SJS last night. I have to say, I'm rather satisfied with the result. If you get the parts, you won't be disappointed, so long as you drill the holes in the right place. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes, I can see where having the holes in the right place would be pretty important to the lid locks function. Just the right amount of spring tension and all.

I need to do some searching but I thought I'd found a thread one time about using a tuna can or some such over the bottom vent to help against ash clogging/spillage through the vent holes? I've never used one of these little guys before and don't know just how much ash gets through that vent. We were camped at the beach a couple weeks ago and it was of course windy at times.

I've only cooked on my SJS once, and ash was not a problem. It's supposedly more of an issue if you're doing a smoke with the mini-wsm mod. Word on the street is the Gold is better for that job. I'll be testing it out myself as soon as I can find the darn pot.

Back