Hushpuppies

Mike Saunders

TVWBB Member
OK.......this is my 89 year old moms recipe. I have been eating these hushpuppies for 52 years now and still remember the first time I ate a hushpuppy at a restraunt. I said "This aint no hushpuppy!"

Heat your grease hot. True southerners call any frying oil "grease". At least I was taught that by mom.

2 cups Martha White self rising (or your favorite brand of corn meal)
2 eggs
2 dollops (big tablespoons) mayo
1/2 can beer
Buttermilk until you feel it is right.

Grease a serving spoon with crisco. Dip into the batter and roll off into the grease.

Roll over when the bottom gets brown. When brown all over throw em into a paper sack with paper towels in the bottom.

Yummmmmmmm

----------
This is the way my father tested oil temperature for frying fish and hushpuppies.

When you think it is almost hot enough, throw in a "Strike anywhere" kitchen sized match. When the match lights, the oil is right.

Dad used a large cast iron pot, about 16 quarts, set on a metal 5 gallon bucket. At the bottom of the bucket was fitted a burner from a hot water heater.

That rig cooked some awful good fish and hushpuppies.

MIkeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Your Mom's recipe looks pleasantly different from others I've done. No question I'll be trying it. Thanks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">e </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
This is the first recipe I have seen without onion. Is that unusual ? Martha White is quite good. My wife uses Three Rivers.

Yes, somewhat unusual, most have some sort of onion. Though I'll try some batter as written, I'll try the rest with my usual--finely minced scallion bottom--but no disrespect to Mom intended!

Shoot - Mom wouldnt mind at all if you threw onion in there. If onion cranks your tractor, go for it.

I like it myself.

Yes, Martha WHite is good corn meal.

MIkeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

While we are at it...I think if you have good corn meal, what really makes a difference in cornbread... muffins...hush puppies...is the buttermilk. When I lived in Knoxville, that meant MAYFIELDS BUTTERMILK ! I swear there is none better.

Steve, I just found this recipe. I LOVE hushpuppies!!! Do you think I should ask DH to make these?

Back