Shredded beef tacos

Larry - This isn't authentic, but I'd start with a chuck roast, rub it with a rub that is heavy in chili powder & cumin. I'd then cook it low & slow until it reaches 190 degrees. Let it rest for an hour or so, then pull the chuck into long shreds and season with some more of your rub.

If you look at my Smoke Day pictures you'll see what chuck looks like shredded.

Jim

This recipe was a BIG hit at a Mexican party I had.

Mexican Pot Roast T & T

3 large California or New Mexico chilies * OR -- dried
1/4 cup chili powder)
1 1/4 cups dry red wine
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
1/4 cup balsamic or red wine vinegar
4 tablespoons garlic -- chopped
1 1/2 tablespoons serrano or jalapeno chilies -- seeded and minced
2 teaspoons ground cumin
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon fresh oregano -- OR
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 teaspoons salt
2 pounds onions -- thinly sliced
1/3 cup golden raisins or currants
3 pounds center-cut beef brisket -- fat removed

***GARNISH***
tortillas
lime wedges
avocados -- sliced
queso fresco
cilantro sprigs
fresh feta cheese

Directions:
Remove the stems and the seeds from the dried chilies, if using. Rinse and place in a saucepan with water to cover. Bring to a boil, then remove from the heat, cover and let stand for 1 hour. Drain and set aside.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a blender or food processor, puree the softened chilies or chili powder with the wine, orange juice, vinegar, garlic, fresh chilies, ground spices, oregano and salt until smooth. Scatter half of the onions and raisins in a roasting pan and place the beef on top of them. Scatter the remaining onions and raisins over the beef and then pour on the chili mixture, spreading with a spatula to evenly coat the meat.

Cover the roasting pan tightly and bake until the brisket is very tender, about 4 hours. Shred the meat with a fork and mix with the onions and juices. Serve on warmed tortillas garnished with cilantro, a squeeze of lime, sliced avocados, queso fresco or crumbled fresh feta cheese.

Back