Digital Thermometer question/comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I have read a lot about the Polder digital thermometer. I have read some reviews that pointed out that the lack of watertight probe creates problems with bad readings and eventual failure of the probe. Has anyone here experienced that problem? This would be especially crucial this being a water smoker.

Additionally I noted the PYREX unit similar and the probe is watertight and can be washed in hot soapy water. It also has an alarm feature when a programmed temp is reached which the more expensive Polder has.

Anyone want to comment on one or the other from an experience perspective? Both seem to be rated high with the exception of the probe issue on the Polder. Thanks

I have a remote polder I have been using for some time with any problems. Once you use one of these you will wonder how you ever got along with out it. Here is a link to the one I got:

http://www.zenreich.com/ZenWeb/rcthermometer.htm

I got a good deal on it from amazon.com for $40 but will probably have a hard time finding that price. More like $70 now but still worth it.

I have been using a Polder (purchased direct) for over a year now and I would not swap it for a 24 year cute blond chick,, well maybe I would in that case. I used it for my Easter ham on my WSM - I put one probe in an old spud and another in the ham, I did not open the lid once.

As for the water issue, that is more or a concern when you clean the probe,I had my first probe act funny for a while but it now once again works fine. Make sure you order a few extra probes (five tacos).

In closing the Polder is GREAT if you like eye of the round roast cooked rare (I do this in the oven). I look for an internal temp of 135 and I slow roast in a 275 oven and never open the door.

Best wishes,
Steve

I've never had to replace a Polder probe. Just be careful and don't submerge the probe in water, as water may infiltrate at the point where the cable enters the probe. Moisture from the cooking environment in the WSM will not cause damage.

There is some thinking that you can "cure" a probe by submerging it entirely in hot vegetable oil for several minutes. The theory is that the oil gets down into the probe and fills the space, protecting and preserving the thermistor in the probe from water infiltration. They swear by this technique, but I don't think it's necessary as long as you're careful with the probe.

Material on the Maverick Remote Check thermometer ("remote Polder") can be found on the Measuring Temperature in the Weber Bullet page or by going to the top of this page, clicking "search" and searching on "remote thermometer". (Make sure to select "all forums" from the forum search drop down list, otherwise you'll only be searching the Beginner's Forum.)

Regards,
Chris

Hi Alan,

I have used the same 2 Polders for the last 5 years. Never had to replace a probe.

I have cooked in blizzards and downpours....including this last Easter Sunday. No problems whatsoever. I did lose one of the display units in a blizzard, but after 2 days of drying out...it came back to life!

Of course the probe won't get wet when using, so just be careful when washing. To tell you the truth, I don't even wash it! Why bother?

I will check every couple of months for accuracy and the boiling water will tend to clean it up rather nicely.

BTW, these are NOT Polder's brands, they are the un-named variety and as you can see work quite well.

Stogie

Well, I guess if there were any real problems especially with the POLDER's we would have heard (er...read) about it here on the list. Is the Polder capable of calibration or is it not necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back