Comp Secrets and Tips - Ribs?

James Harvey

TVWBB Pro
Hi all,

Is anyone willing to share a few comp tips or tricks?

Credit to Harry Soo, spritz the ribs after boxing and just prior to turn in for a nice sheen. Remember to wipe the box.

I lightly dust the ribs with finely ground rub before misting with apple juice. The mist moistens the rub so it's not visible. I'm still playing with the dust but I'm adding salt and granulated garlic for that punch on the one great bite. I pre salt the meat and don't salt the rub per Kevin Kruger which is why I'm salting the dust.

I don't compete, as you know, but have helped many individual competitors and teams over the years. One thing with ribs, among others, is not to allow them to get too dark. One way to approach this is to start with a rather lightly colored rub. Several I've developed for comps are quite light, not at all the same visual as more typical non-comp rubs.

Thamks Kevin. I'm actually using your rib rub from way back (2004?) with a few updates (i.e. - aleppo instead of paprika).

I've been using 4 chunks of Smokinlicious wood (2 hickory, 2 cherry) for my trials.

I do notice that my ribs are a little darker than I'd like but I'm not sure if this is a product of the smoke or sugar.

I'm happy with the taste, bark and consistency though. I'm just curious as to a finishing touch that will pop the rib flavour knowing that the judges are probably only taking one bite.

Back