New Q300

Have been a proud owner of a 15 year old Genesis and 6 year old Q100. As we just built a new composite deck, I decided to replace the Genesis with a Q300 this weekend and put it on the new deck as it has a nice compact footprint. A few questions for you veterans:

1. I want to put a mat beneath the Q to protect my new deck from heat/splatters. Do any of you use one with their Q300's that work well?

2. This is my first Q with more than one burner. Do users use both burners at all times? For instance, if only cooking a few burgers, can you get by using only one burner?

Thanks.

With respect to the heat issue, I've had my Q200 directly on top of a plastic table for the past four years. There's been zero heat damage to the table. (There have, however, been an ungodly number of spills from the grease tray and the once white table is mostly brown, but that's another story).

Thanks. I ended up getting "The Original Grillpad" to put under the grill. These pads seem to really only address the area directly below the grill. I guess my concern is the area around the grill. For instance, when cleaning the hot grates there are sometimes hot bits of ash that get scattered.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">(There have, however, been an ungodly number of spills from the grease tray and the once white table is mostly brown, but that's another story). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You should pick up a bottle of Grease Grizzly. That stuff's fantastic at cleaning up grease spills.

Bill

The mat is not needed to protect from heat damage. If you want something to keep spills from happening that is another story.

If I am doing just a few shrimp, a potato, or something small I will use just the center burner after I have preheated using both. I cook indirect using only the outside burners sometimes but you will find that the Q is not great for indirect. In fact I recently bought an older silver c so I can cook indirect with it.

BThompson.
On any deck, more-so composite decking, you should remove a matt when not in use.
Leaving it lay on the deck for extended periods will trap moisture underneath, and can lead to premature aging and can compromise your structural members and any mechanical fasteners.

Tim

One thing that bothers me is that when the side tables are folded up (to put the cover on), you lose the hooks to hold any utencils or cleaning brushes.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BThompson (bltkmt):
One thing that bothers me is that when the side tables are folded up (to put the cover on), you lose the hooks to hold any utencils or cleaning brushes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I leave one of my tables open but I could open both and still cover it. You just need to take the dimensions into consideration when buying a cover.

Back