Sweet Potato Fries with Apple ????

Jason Wayne

TVWBB Fan
I recently had some sweet potato fries in a restaurant that came with a dipping companion that was listed on the menu as "apple butter."

I have always loved sweet potato fries, but the dipping companion made these extra sweet.

A few things, it isn't APPLE BUTTER. I asked a few people and they were all like, "Go to the store, they sell apple butter."

Upon finding the apple butter, I discovered that it was more like a jam/jelly than the fluffy stuff I had at the restaurant.

Now, the dipping "stuff" had a fluffly texture, somewhat like a whipped cream/softened butter. To compliment the sweet potato fries, the "apple butter" was really sweet, with hints of sugar and cinnamon.

So, I know that isn't much of a start on the description, but I was wondering if anyone else may know what I am talking about.

I have googled and found nothing, so I was hoping one of you all might have a clue what I was served.

Thanks for any help and sorry for the poor description.

Jason, if you would mention the name of the restaurant, someone here will probably have eaten there and might have a handle on your apple butter question.

Rita

It was the Big Easy Concert House in Boise, ID.

Chances are, that isn't going to help. They have a cajun style menu and somehow the fries/apple butter popped up on the menu.

Two options come to mind:

Get some whipped crem cheese at the store along with some apple butter. Using a stiff whisk or a fork, whisk about 1/4 c apple butter into 1/2 c cream cheese. Adjust sweetness.

Or (and this seems more likely),

Gently heat 1/4 c apple butter in a small saute pan. Slice 2 or 3 T butter into 4 pieces. When the apple butter is just hot, remove the pan from the heat. Stab one piece of the butter with a fork and stir into the apple butter somewhat vigorously, allowing it to melt off the fork. Whisk with the fork when the butter is incorporated so that it will emulsify. Do not allow pools of butter to form. Repeat with the remaining butter pieces. (If the mix cools too quickly emulsification will be harder. Return the pan to the heat--briefly--to rewarm it somewhat.

When all the butter is incorporated and the mixture is emulsified, cool further by continuing to whisk for a few minutes. Next, place the pan in the fridge for a few minutes--just long enough for the mixture to begin to set. Then, remove the pan and whisk more vigorously. The mixture should end up like firmly beaten egg whites--but denser.

Thanks Kevin - after reading the two options, I am inclined to think it might be closer to option #1.

Although, option #2 sounds like it would taste great. I will try both of them and see if it tastes anything like what I was served.

Still hoping someone knows what I am talking about. I tried both suggestions from Kevin and neither was as close as I thought they would be.

Not really close at all, in fact. I am still lost as to what was in the freaking "sauce."

Hmm.

I avoid snow in winter but might be travelling through either the last week of this month or the end of the first week of Nov, depending on the weather. I often stop in Boise when I go through so if there's time I will and I'll check it out.

Kevin, I might just call them and ask. Maybe they will give me a hint, although I doubt they will for fear of competition. I have never considered calling a place before now, so I really don't know what to expect. Thanks again!

Back