Do you keep your grill outside??

Ron F

TVWBB Fan
Hello all,

I have a Summit platinum and am considering just leaving it outside(with the cover on). I would just like to get it out of my garage really. Anybody out there keep there nice shiny grills in the elements? Just wondering if it would hurt the longevity of my grill....

Ron

Hi Ron. I think it would depend on the cover. I left my Genesis out with an aftermarket cover down in Orlando for several years. The cover was water proof and it rained alot and hard! It is now on a covered deck with a Weber brand cover on it that has the breathing vents on it. I don't believe I'd leave it out with that cover on it. My Platinum has a Weber cover on it that's not vented and it's been out for a year now with no problems. HTH..

Bill

I keep my Summit Gold D in the garage.
icon_smile.gif

Edit: Because i'm more worried about somebody stealing it.
icon_mad.gif

I have a Genesis Platinum B and I leave it outside. Although it's partially covered by the patio cover, it still gets dirty. A little simple green and the hose cleans it up nicely.

With the wind and rain storms it's been through, I haven't seen any effect on the internals of the grill itself (grate, burner, flavorizer bars...) which I would suspect are the parts that wear out the fastest.

In my opinion, the exterior of the grill is designed and built to be outdoors. The fragile parts are protected. As long as it's constructed of stainless steel, you have a much improved resistance to rust over normal steel construction.

Kyle

Well, I keep mine the garage only because I don't yet have a deck.

My parents have 2 Weber gas grills that they've stored outdoors for years (with cover on when not in use) and they both look and operate as new almost...one is over 10 yrs old. The older one is stored in a shed over winters though.

I keep my Genesis Silver B and my WSM outside. The WSM is usually covered but I only put the cover on my gasser when I am going to be away on vacation. In over 5 years of exposure, the gasser looks fine.

Ray

I keep everything outside except my SJP and Coleman (this stays in the garage in a portable bag) all with covers. So far no problems.

Ariel,

You live in the most temperate climate in the world. Those things might out last you.
icon_wink.gif

Q'n, Golf'n & Grill'n.... too many choices!
Gary

My Genesis Gold has been outdoors in the Weber cover for 6 years with no problems. The kettles are out uncovered for 20+ years. They turn a little gray and I have replaced some wood handles. They seem to be mostly weatherproof.

Well I think I'm gonna just toss her outside. I've been trying to set my garage up for my woodworking hobby and the grills need to go! It's not so much the rain I was worried about, but the cold weather and snow sitting on it in the winter. I think it will be fine really.

I have the Weber cover and it is vented but if you reach up inside the cover you will feel a flap that is sewn in there to keep the weather off the grill. This venting system should be fine. On top of that it is stainless...

Ron

Ron
I now understand this thread.
You are talking about leaving it outside in the weather not under a roof line. And also it snows there - how terrible is that.
Here in Australia we all have an Outdoor area/Pergola that has a roof and decking, many have rollup sides or fly screens. BBQs always sit on the decking and may be moved outside to cook on if required. We would normally also have a beer fridge or a large esky (cooler) there and an outdoor table setting for at least 6 people.
Fortunately we don't have snow so we can BBQ all year round.

Life is tough but someone has to live it.

Regards

Maybe I should have mentioned it wouldn't be under any type of roof
icon_rolleyes.gif
. Oops. Yeah, the snow/cold weather kinda stinks, but that doesn't keep me from BBQ'n. Q'n in the winter is kind of fun actually. Far as I'm concerned it's a year round sport!

Ron

I keep mine in the garage only because we have the room. We have a 2 car garage that we have never parked a car in.

All on my BBQ/Grill Stuff is outside on my deck, with no covers, since June 2005..the only thing I do is take the fire ring and grate out of the bottom of my WSM...every couple of weeks or when it rains very heavy I just make sure I dump any water that ecumulates in the bottom of the smoker.

Rene,

Don't you have the cover that came with the WSM? It slips on/off very easily and wouldn't let any rain into the bottom.

Ron

I keep my Summit outside with the standard issue cover in place all year around here in CA. As with the WSM, the Summit cover is not waterproof and when it rains I get water all over the lid, work surfaces, and control panel, including hard water spots that don’t come off easily. So during the rainy season of November-April, I put a plastic tarp over the cover, just down to the bottom of the firebox. The tarp is held in place with a long bungee cord that goes around the entire circumference of the grill. This keeps water from getting into the grill, while allowing air to circulate under the vinyl cover as needed.

Regards,
Chris

Chris,

So I'm to understand that the Weber covers are NOT waterproof? That makes absolutely no sense to me.

Ron

Back