First Brisket try

Jeremy Calow

TVWBB Super Fan
So I decided that I needed to do something with the 15 pound brisket that was filling my freezer ... err that should read, My wife decided that I needed to do something with the 15 pound brisket that was filling her freezer
icon_wink.gif
so I decided I will do an over night for friends for New Years!

Trimmed and seasoned with Mtl Steak spice and wedged her onto Suzie my 18.5 WSM last night at around 7pm, expecting things to carry on till mid afternoon today at the earliest.. Temps were running great to start with around 250 degrees till I went out to check it at 1:45. The probe told me the temps were already at 190 in the point and 180 in the flat.. So I started prodding it with the probe to check for done-ness, and sure enough the point was done, so I pulled her off and sliced the point off and wrapped it in foil and returned the big flat to the smoker as it still needed some time.. Woke up at 4:20am to check the flat and it was done too.. Pulled it and wrapped it and threw it with the point into the oven and fell asleep once more..

Woke up this morning at a more reasonable hour and sliced them up.. Well other than the fact it is done a huge amount of time earlier than I expected, its tender and cooked, and if I may say, pretty darn tasty
icon_wink.gif

I have put the pieces in bags and I will reheat it a bit later today before friends arrive like I do my pulled pork.. Sauces that will be served are No. 5 and my version Dragon's blood.. And to prove that I am not making this stuff up.. Here are some pictures
icon_biggrin.gif

_MG_1390.jpg

_MG_1384.jpg

I would say that is a success. Nice job. Still haven't done an overnighter but am worried that when I do I'll have the same problem as you.

Thanks David, yea I was a little surprised at how quick it was done.. I guess I inadvertently did a High heat brisket hehe.. I have done overnight pork butts with no problem at all..

Great way to ring in the new year, Jeremy. Nice brisket. Aside from the timing, what did you and your friends think of your first brisket?

Jim, I will have to let you know later tonight when it finally gets served
icon_wink.gif
hehe..

Gary, yup first try and am pretty impressed with it so far...

Thanks a lot guys

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike David P:
That is one fine looking brisket Jeremy! Way to go. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
-_This!

Thanks guys, turns out that the brisket was loved by all which is always good. The yield was a little over 8 pounds from the cook and I only have about a pound and a quarter left after everything was said and done last night
icon_wink.gif
. Course that's both good and bad (since I don't have a lot of leftovers hehe)..

Back