Taking on smoke

Morrey Thomas

TVWBB Super Fan
There is lots of discussion about how meat takes on smoke during the smoking process.

One school of thought is that meat accepts smoke until the meat reaches a certain temp, then the cellular structure closes off any additional penetration. Thusly any smoke introduced after that point is useless.

My thinking is that the smoke introduced is a flavor molecule that sticks to the surface of the meat being cooked. This thinking would have little to do with temperatures, but more to do with surface area. Example is that we often put a pan of pulled pork back on the smoker after it is done, then introduce additional smoke into the chamber.

Does anyone have input in regards to either school of thought?

Well all iknow is that surface area is king. Like minced meat. A sertan temp that it stops(other then the smoke ring....Myglobin chemically reaction bla bla..) dunno. But cook a butt to 170f and then add alot of wood,and i bet it will be smokey.

Yes Wolgast, I think the chemical reaction forming a smoke ring is different than meat accepting smoke for flavor. I am not sure, thusly I asked thoughts of others such as yourself.

Morrey, from what I have read of the science of smoke and meat, I believe that you are correct in the assumption that the chemical reaction that developes a smoke ring is temp sensitive but the smoke flavor is not. Until further proof is put forth I will believe it.

Mark

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">One school of thought is that meat accepts smoke until the meat reaches a certain temp, then the cellular structure closes off any additional penetration. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Why this 'school of thought' continues to have any credence is beyond me. Other than being repeated over and over, it is utterly unsupported by science. It is also unsupported by anyone who has ever smoked anything and actually paid attention.

Smoke particulates stick to meat. (Smoke does not 'absorb' in typical barbecue sessions, despite the constant repetition of this canard.) Smoke will continue to stick to meat as long as it is present. Temperature has nothing to do with it, as you surmise. Increase the surface area and one increases the area where smoke can stick, as you also note.

Yes. It is true that the chemical reaction (that takes place on the meat's surface and can then extend inward) responsible for smokering development stops when surface temps rise.

I agree that the term "smoke ring" is misleading and does not indicate the depth that the smoke penetrates the meat. If you have a 1/4" pinkish "smoke ring" under bark, that pinkish meat will not taste "smoked" if isolated it from the bark where your smoke particulate stays.

Back