Best way to add smoke to a weber q

Mac Mayhew

TVWBB Member
I have had a Weber Q 220 for about 6 months, which I have enjoyed a lot. The one thing I do miss compared to charcoal is the smokey taste.

My understanding is that there a couple of options for adding smoke to a gas grill, and wanted to know what would be the best option for a weber q.

1) You can use the smoker box, which obviously isn't an option in this case.

2) Put a foil packet of soaked wood on top of the flavorizer bars. However, since the Weber q's "flavorizer bars" are integrated into the cooking grates, this isn't an option either.

3) Balance the foil packet directly on top of the burner. However, I am not sure how steady the packet would be, considering how narrow the burners are.

4) Put the foil packet on top of the ignition, which is located below the cooking grate. However, the burner is not directly below this portion, so I am not sure how much (if any) smoke would be generated with this option.

5) I suppose the final option would be to simply put the foil packet on the cooking grate itself.

Any suggestions would be appreciated -- thanks!

Mac,

Put the foil pack on top of the grill. Elevate your meat with a rack over the foil for roasts, tri tip, etc. For direct grilling I would let that packet get very hot first to ensure good smoke then grill your meat. Of course, not much smoke will penetrate due to short cooking time.

Mac
What methods have you tried so far and what were the results?
Ny two main methods are a foil pack of sawdust direectly on the grill on the LH side, and, a foil pack of chips resting on top of the ignition cover.

Smoking on the Q is one of those things that you need to experiment with. I get 650 degrees + out of mine whereas some others only get 550, it depends on the gas, position, regulating valve orifice and other factors, bottom line is you have to play, you covered most methods in your initial email.

Regards

So far, I'be simply put the smoke packet on top of the grill grate on the right side. While it did produce a decent amount of smoke, the difference in taste was negligible. I need to try other method -- maybe trying to balance the packet over the burner will work better.

Mac
The problem with somke on the Q is the size of the gaps for airflow. You need to have the pouch on the windward side so that the airflow of the smoke is over the meat. You will not get the intensity thst you get in a kettle nor will you get much due to the short duration of the cooks.

Regards

I have been using this gadget for about a year...works fine!
2156_Tunbf1_1.jpg

I just got my Q220 also and I've been experimenting but not yet with smoke (other than cedar plank salmon). If you have a few grills around, like me and Mr. Hartcher who has many, your problem may be solved. I have a big Kenmore that smokes really, really well. For some reason the smoke circulates extremely well. I use it for big cuts but I want to smoke a steak too.

If I can't get the Q to smoke as I like I think I'll fire up the Kenmore and get my hickory chips going real well in it. I've got a big cast iron box that holds the wet chips and works really, really well. Then I'll sear my steaks on the Q which I think is the best sear device I have ever used, far better marks than the Kenmore. I probably won't keep the meat on the Q for more than a couple minutes a side and finish cooking them in the Kenmore that should be smoking up real well by then. I will indirect cook the meat by placing it on a higher rack over the smoker box. Well, this is one idea I have that is a little nuts and maybe my experimenting with the Q will not make this extra step necessary.

I know purists will scream at having to use two grills for one job but they are sitting right next to each other and maybe getting the best of both worlds from each will create "perfection"!

Back