A savory brine?

Kyle H.

TVWBB Fan
I tried Keri's AJ brined turkey for xmas eve a few years back, and while everyone enjoyed it, I was surprised at how sweet it was. I guess I don't think of sweet when I think of a nice smoked bird. I've been looking around twvbb and the web and most brines I've come across feature brown sugar, honey, AJ, JD, etc. so I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a reliable savory/herbacious brine I could use.

I'd be interested in one with garlic, sage, thyme, rosemary, etc. Maybe some spice too, although not too much since the older generations in my family can't quite tolerate as much spice as I can.

Thanks for any pointers!

Oh, one more thing I forgot to ask. I'm out of apple wood so I'll be smoking over either hickory or oak (or alder?). Which would you recommend? I was leaning towards oak since it's a milder wood, but honestly I've only ever used alder the one time I did salmon so I'm not really sure if it would be suitable.

Thanks.

Kyle,

I think I have just the thing for you. Click on this YouTube link below. I have used this brine on turkey peices and whole chickens and its great. Not sweet at all and makes the bird good and moist. So moist that when I used it for my whole chickens, I was feasting on the breast meat - and I HATE breast meat cuz its usually so dry and flaky. But not with this brine. I will be using this for my Thanksgiving turkey this year and I can't wait.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMjXImsjfEY

Kyle,
If you are doing this Xmas eve, why not buy apple between now and then. Apple is one of my favorites so I am partial to it on poultry.

Ray

Kyle,

I forgot to discuss the brine. You do not have to put any sugar or other sweeteners in the brine. A basic brine is:
1 gal water
3/4 lb kosher salt
other seasonings to taste

I personally like some cloves, rosemary, and thyme added to the brine. Just keeping it simple.

Also, I have learned to put the bird into the container I will use for the brine, and fill with water until the bird is covered. Then remove the bird, and measure the water remaining to see how many gallons you have. You can then add the salt plus seasonings for the gallons you need.

Ray

Back