Cocoa rub sans coffee

Lance

TVWBB Super Fan
I am looking for a rub that uses cocoa powder. I saw one awhile ago in a recipe book but did not copy it. After seeing the recipe, I have been intrigued with the idea of a cocoa rub. I have seen the coffee-cocoa rub but I am not a fan of coffee and to further complicate the process I only have a few types of spices. Does anyone have any ideas? Here is what I have:
cocoa powder, sweet paprika, granulated garlic, granulated onion, cayenne, black pepper, dried sage, dried parsley, kosher salt, lemon pepper. Thanks for the help!

the cocoa with the cayenne should be a great combination, as it is reminiscent of a nice mole sauce from mexico.

and thanks so much for your service.

Yes, except more flavorful peppers are used than cayenne in Mexico. Dried cayenne has heat but little flavor. Cocoa works well with chilies, green herbs with minty qualities, onion, garlic and the 'sweet' spices, especially cinnamon, allspice and ginger.

Lance-- Are you able to get dried thyme or marjoram? The sage is good. It would be good if you could get some 'sweet' spices like cinnamon, allspice, clove, nutmeg, cardamom, fennel--those sorts of things--as well as ground chilies of various qualities. Paprika isn't very good for much more than a bulking agent for low/slow cooks. I'm on the road for several weeks or I'd send some. I realize getting stuff is not a matter of hitting the corner store for you.

Anyway, based on what you have in your list, try:

1/2 c cocoa powder, preferably Dutch-processed, unsweetened*

3/4 c light brown sugar (or white if l.b. is unavailable)

3/4 c paprika

3 T sage

3 T garlic powder

4 T onion powder

2 T black pepper

1 t cayenne

* if all you have is sweetened, decrease the sugar by 1/4 c

If I see who ships to APOs perhaps I can send stuff sooner than when I get back home.

Should you be able to get cinnamon, allspice and ginger I'd look at 1 t of each. If you can only get one and not the others, increase to 1.5 t of that one but I wouldn't go higher.

I don't put salt in rubs as if you've read any of my stuff you know. I salt the meat first, allow the salt to draw miosture for several minutes, then apply the salt over the rub.

Kevin,
Thanks for the rub recipe. I will try to find cinnamon. Normally, when I don't have an ingredient, I just leave it out. I know that I lose the depth and complexity of the rub, however, I do not have a sophisticated palate. I choose not to because if I did it would make this army chow taste even worse. If you have ever had a Meal Ready to Eat (MRE) or a T-ration you know what I am talking about.
I follow you on the idea of salting the meat first and then using the rub. What goes well with this rub? I saw that you recommended the coffe-cocoa rub for brisket. Does that hold true here as well? Once again, thanks for the help.
Lance

I've had many an MRE. I was one of many who trucked MREs and bottled water to New Orleans and environs after Katrina. Lived on them for a few days... Better than C-Rations (MCIs) but, well, you know.

You could use this on pork or beef. Personally I'd like to see a bit more depth in it for beef but I think this sort of way all the time.
icon_smile.gif

Kevin,
I tried this out last weekend on a half flat. My guys liked it but they were thrown off because they didn't get a big cocoa taste. I had to tell them that it is just one of the flavors in the rub and it is supposed to blend with the others. I can see how using different chiles could really add to the flavor. Thanks for the recipe.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:

Lance-- Are you able to get dried thyme or marjoram? The sage is good. It would be good if you could get some 'sweet' spices like cinnamon, ginger, allspice, clove, nutmeg, cardamom, fennel--those sorts of things--as well as ground chilies of various qualities.

I'm on the road for several weeks or I'd send some. I realize getting stuff is not a matter of hitting the corner store for you.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Kevin, I'll cover for you.
icon_wink.gif
I'm going to go out and get these spices for Lance. Anything else I should get for him? I sent the various dried peppers already. Let me know, would like to get all the stuff today (Sat) and ship it out to him on Monday. Thanks

Ground or whole bay leaf would be great as would white pepper, cinnamon, allspice, clove, nutmeg and ginger. Also cumin and coriander. Not sure if he is able to grind there (Lance?) so ground versions might be better. If fenugreek is available that would be an excelent addition (in his Cardamom thread I am suggesting he look for it) especially if he is able to locate lamb.

Let me know what you don't find and I'll see what I can have shipped from WorldSpice.

Thanks, Bry!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Not sure if he is able to grind there (Lance?) so ground versions might be better.

Let me know what you don't find and I'll see what I can have shipped from WorldSpice.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was going to be ny next question to him. What voltage do they have over there? I was going to send along a coffee grinder so he can grind the peppers and spices up. Lance Buddy, You running standard 110 over there?

Bryan,
I was able to purchase a coffee grinder at the PX. I was pleasantly surprised when I found it. Then again most Army guys are coffee fiends. The voltage over here is 220 but I have a 110 converter in my office where I do most of my barbecue prep. My sister just sent a bottle of ground cinnamon so I am covered there. Thanks for the support.
Lance

Back