thermometer...again

Dan H.

TVWBB Pro
i've had heck w/ these things. No more Mavericks for me (I think generally there pretty good though as I read). No more plugging the vent hole either I thought. The other day I noticed I could get another 7 or so degrees higher w/ a fully loaded cooker (big pan of beans, sausages, briskit) by pulling the therm out of the top vent. Its not a big deal at all though, I like that cheap therm cause its accurate. So far the BEST therm. I've owned is a 5 dollar instand read w/ a head about the size of a quarter and has a crooked needle from City Market. Im just on a bad luck streak though I know, I just think its humorous. Generally I read all good things about all brands but im keepin that little one too. Anyway paid like 100 bucks for a "Nu-Temp" two therms and one base station thing. If this thing fails im throwing it in the fireplace and never touching anything over 5 dollars again. My Maverick one day just decided to read 25 degrees low out of the blue and the signal blows.
icon_biggrin.gif
we'll see how this baby does!! have a good one.

Dan, I sympathize with you, a friend of mine told me that if you can get your lid temp to 250ish range and feel it and know how it feels when you touch it, you're in the right temp zone at the cooking grate and don't need a therm; except to test for meat temp. And for that buy yourself a Thermopen.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">No more plugging the vent hole either I thought. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I agree with that, at least for us higher-than-sea-level folks or if one is having trouble getting to temp. When I stick a therm in the top vent I only insert the stem and let it hold up the therm if that makes sense. This way it's not blocking the vent.

On the Maverick, maybe this will help: I had a few problems with temp accuracy, then I read my manual and found the probes are not to be submerged in liquid (for cooking or cleaning). They were getting submerged during washing. Once they dried out they have been fine. I'm still on my original probes going on 5 years.

man... you think the quick scrub i give em at the end of the cook would do it shawn? I totally missed that. I guess I just always thought everyone was testing in boiling water etc. and if thats the case I may have sh&*& canned it!, lol. Good point though and appreciate it. Bruce thats interesting because I have the "feel" nailed almost because I was almost suspicious of that therm. (when it actually had a signal) so good point there too, I actually somewhat use that sometimes just to make sure im in the ballpark. anyway if it helps either one of you I think i've found the maverick needs the freshest of batteries to keep a decent signal.. then again im only 60% sure of that. I just thought I kept my stuff in good health and nice and shiny to make it last for me.. but i may have messed up cause I do wipe down the probe after about every cook.
Anyway got my Nu-temp today and we'll let you know. maybe i can revive the mav as well now that you've told me yours dry out and become ok again. I havn't looked yet but the last "test" was horrible. Freezing water was a ---- and boiling at my elevation should be about 210 and was 170-something, maybe 6.

*hey Shawn.. I just read the little question and answere section my new one just came with after reading your post. "Do not submerge in any liquid for any reason" or something like that. It even states that the boiling water test shouldn't be done. Something about how the elevation changes it anyway and how its not a good way to test or something to that effect. Anyway point is I think you got it.. I guess I won't touch anymore water with it...damn I hate to stick those nasty things in the meat though, what do you do scrape em down w/ those brillo pads or what do you think?

I just wipe them down with a clean well wrung out soapy dishcloth, or I'd use a 3M green scrubby sort of thing that was well wrung out.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dan H.:
I guess I won't touch anymore water with it...damn I hate to stick those nasty things in the meat though, what do you do scrape em down w/ those brillo pads or what do you think? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Pull the probe out of the meat and wipe probe off with Tee shirt, done.
icon_wink.gif

Heard about a guy once who thought it would be tasty to lick the juice/bark off of the probe. He didn't ever do it again!
icon_eek.gif

ill just get the feel for 180 w/ my pinky to know when to watch for tenderness, that should work,
icon_wink.gif
Thanks Bryan, good thing I get the three pack of shirts at waly world for 5 or 6 bucks! this therm's kind of cool after messin w/ it last night, I was just about to package it up and send it back cause I didn't realize "IN" was the actually temp. in your house or wherever the base station was! I knew those manuals were good for something besides lighting your chimney.

Back