Freezing Corn

Status
Not open for further replies.

M D Baldwin

TVWBB Super Fan
This year seems to be a great year for sweet corn. Is there anyway we can freeze the corn on or off the cob so it still tastes good?

I believe you have to blanch it first. Drop in
boiling water for about one minute then into an ice water bath. Then freeze in zip bags. I think this stops the ripening process. Hopefully someone else with more knowledge will jump in. JC.

Well my wife cooks it til done. Then takes a sharp knife and cuts it off the cob. Then freezes the kernels in zip lock sandwhich bags. Then when ready to use it remove it from bags put in boiling water with wee bit of salt and serves. Tastes just like it did when it was on the cob.

Corn should be blanched first as John notes. Use a large quantity of water and get it boiling. Shuck the corn, silk it, then blanch a few ears at a time in the water. Cover the pot when you put the corn in so that it returns to a boil quickly. Start your timer when the corn goes in the water. I blanch supersweet corn 3 minutes, sweet for 4.5. Remove the corn from the pot and plunge immediately into a bowl of ice water to chill quickly and stop the cooking. Let chill 4-5 min. (You can put more corn in the boiling water while the first batch is chilling.) Cut the kernels off the cob, bag and freeze. Cobs take up lots of freezer space, kernels don't, but if you really want to keep the corn intact, fine. Dry it well after removing it from the water and either wrap each ear tightly in plastic before stacking them in freezer Ziplocs, or FoodSaver them without wrapping in plastic first. (To FoodSaver effectively, put the ears in a regular Ziploc, the ears unwrapped, then freeze. When the ears have frozen remove them and place in a FoodSaver bag and vac, seal and stick in the freezer.) You can boil-in-bag if you FoodSaver--just long enough to heat through.

We boil it as if we were going to eat it right away on the cob. After it cools somewhat, we put 3-4 ears (whatever will fit in the available Foodsaver bag), pitch in 3-4 (or one per ear) pats of butter or margarine, and Foodsave it before the butter/margarine can melt. Drop it in the freezer and it tastes close to fresh when you take it out and boil it in the Foodsaver bag-- PLUS, it is already buttered to some degree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back