Tri Tip Chili

r benash

TVWBB Emerald Member
I was asked to post this recipe here after my post in the Grilling forum (Tonight's Tri Tip Chili).

This recipe really calls for home made brown stock starting with roasting bones. If I don't have this ingredient or the time, I would sub the tri tip out for beef chuck, and Just grilled the tri as usual. You can use store bought beef stock or just water, but you will loose a lot of flavor. Might as well make your favorite chili recipe.

1 lb of dried pink beans (pinquitos)
Enough water to soak/cook beans
3 lbs or more of Tri Tip Roast
Suzie Q Rub
2 Tbsp bacon drippings
6 dried ancho peppers
2 cups water from cooking beans
1 Tbsp dried oregano
3 cups brown/beef stock
1 Tbsp cumin seeds, crushed
2 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp cayenne (optional)
4 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
2 Tbsp masa harina

This recipe really calls for home made brown/beef stock starting with roasting bones. If I didn't have this ingredient or the time, I would sub the Tri Tip out for beef chuck and make a standard chili recipe. You can use store bought beef stock or just water, but you will loose a lot of flavor IMHO.

You could probably sub pinquitos with navy or pinto's but the pinquitos add something very special. Definitely start with dried beans, I would not recommend kidneys for this one.
Prep the beans however you prefer (short or long soak methods, I used short soak). Reserve all liquid.

You can sub corn starch if you don't have masa harina.

Pull the tri tip from the fridge and let it come up to room temp. Salt (kosher) the tri tip well and let it sit a few minutes and coat well with Suzie Q. Allow this to set while you fire up the charcoal grill I really don't know what to recommend if you don't have this rub. I think it is key to the end result. There are recipes out there that emulate it though. I did not use any smoke wood.

Grill the tri tip to rare (120 - 125 deg at the thickest areas after reverse sear). Pull from grill and rest in foil. Once cool enough to handle slice across grain into 1" slices. Tear slices down into 2" squares. Toss the meat in batches with the bacon fat in a skillet on very high heat to just caramelize on the outside a bit. Set aside. Everything goes in, if you hit membrane that won't let you tear, cut with a knife. Remember you are going to cook for a long time in the chili. Don't over cook the steak on the grill, in this case it can't be too rare, the rub and the sear are most important.

Wash the peppers well in cold water (removes grit). Place in a saucepan with enough water to just cover, and simmer until soft (10 - 20 min). Reserve water and let cool. Remove stems and seeds. Course chop. Make a paste of the peppers and reserved liquid in a blender or processor.

Prep the oregano leaves and cumin seeds in a grinder or mortar and pestle to release oils.

Add all ingredients to a heavy DO (I recommend cast iron and cooking in the oven or WSM, not stove top). Place into a pre heated oven or WSM at 350. Check periodically to see if it is simmering and give a stir. Once you have a slow simmer going you can reduce oven temp to 250 deg and basically cook until the beans are just tender.

Add the masa or corn starch midway through the cook to thicken. If it looks too thick add more brown stock or bean water not plain water.

Pull and let cool once the beans or just tender. Top how you wish. I like green onion, grated Mexican cheese and chopped cilantro. Goes well with cornbread of course as well as yellow rice.

If someone else tries this and we think it's good enough as a basic recipe I'll post up to the recipe forum.

My point was to push the tri tip as the focal ingredient along with the pinquitos. I love chili and my regular Texas red would have no beans and have a more complex mix of chillies and spices. If you are even thinking about adding tomatoes to this, I would use something other than tri tip.

BTW - the yield was 10-11 1 Cup servings, and if you are into Weight Watchers the points per cup are about 10.5 Cool

I left the cayenne out this time around. I wanted to minimize masking the subtle flavor of the tri tip and the brown stock.

Back