Pan Fried Lemon Chicken Recipes?

James Harvey

TVWBB Pro
Hi All,

Does anyone have a recipe for something like the above? I envision browning the chicken in a cast iron pan and finishing it, same pan, in the oven with citrus and herbs.
I'm looking for bold flavour so a marinade would be great.
I have a pretty basic jumping off recipe in my head but would like to round it out with anything you all can recommend.

Thanks in advance.

James, try this one. It is from Rao's restaurant in NYC.
Ingredients
2 (2 1/2 to 3 pound) broiling chickens, halved
Lemon sauce, recipe follows
1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
LEMON SAUCE:
2 cups fresh lemon juice
1 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
Salt and pepper, to taste
Directions
Whisk together juice, oil, vinegar, garlic, oregano, and salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use. Whisk or shake vigorously before using.

CHICKEN: Preheat broiler at least 15 minutes prior to using. Broil chicken halves, turning once, for about 30 minutes or until skin is golden-brown and juices run clear when bird is pierced with a fork. Remove chicken from broiler, leaving broiler on. Using a very sharp knife, cut each 1/2 into about 6 pieces (leg, thigh, wing, 3 small breast pieces). Place chicken on a baking sheet (that will fit in the broiler) with sides. Pour lemon sauce over the chicken and toss to coat well. If necessary, divide sauce in 1/2 and do this in 2 batches. Return chicken to broiler and broil for 3 minutes. Turn each piece and broil for an additional minute. Remove from broiler and portion the chicken onto each of 6 warm serving plates. Pour sauce into a heavy saucepan. Stir in parsley and place over high heat for 1 minute. Pour an equal amount of sauce over each chicken and serve with lots of crusty bread to absorb the sauce.

Good luck, hope it turns out.

Ben

Okay.

The sauce Ben posted is a fairly typical style. (I'd cut the oil some, add a little marjoram and a bit of sage). For one chicken I'd halve the sauce quantity.

I'm not that big on broiling, myself. (I also highly doubt Rao's broils.) Me, I'd heat the oven to 350, then I'd heat your pan as planned, add some of the oil. When the oil is hot, brown the chicken, skin down. Take your time here. When browned, flip the chicken - but remove the breasts - and place the pan in the oven. After 10-15 min add the breasts to the pan.

Cook in the oven till done. Remove the pan to the top of the stove, remove the chicken and keep warm.

Drain most of the fat from the pan. Turn the burner on low. Add the garlic and sauté tll just golden - do not brown - then add any dry herbs you are using, half the parsley and half the lemon juice. Bring quickly to a simmer, deglazing.

Add the chicken to the pan skin up. (You can turn to coat or not.) Heat briefly. Remove the chicken. Remove the pan from the heat, add the rest of the lemon and parsley, stir, then whisk in a bit of oil and some whole butter (unsalted, cold, in pieces) till the sauce is emulsified.

Serve.

James, I have the book. There is an alternate method using the grill and then broiling the chicken. I rarely use the broiler either. It would seem that Kevin's method is most practical, but I'll include both versions here since it's from Frank Pelligrino's book:

FINAL COOKING – FIRST STAGE Choose either method.

1. GRILL–AND–BROIL METHOD.
PREHEAT GRILL with indirect medium heat (MOM).

GRILL. Oil the grill rack. Grill chicken halves, skin side down, for 30 minutes. Oil meat side of chicken and turn.
Grill skin side up for 30 minutes more, or until golden brown and juices run clear when bird is pierced with a fork.

PREHEAT BROILER with rack 5 1/2 inches below the heat source for 15 minutes.

------------------------

2. OR BROILER METHOD
PREHEAT BROILER. To attain maximum heat, preheat broiler, with rack 5 1/2 inches below heat source, for at least
15 minutes before using. Cut and season chicken, and make sauce, as directed above.

BROIL chicken halves, turning once, for about 30 minutes (check timing) or until skin is golden brown and juices run
clear when bird is pierced with a fork.

------------------------

FINAL BROILING (BOTH METHODS)

1. Cut chickens into portions — breasts into 2 pieces and legs into drumsticks and thighs. Transfer pieces to a broiler pan.
Pour the sauce over the chicken and toss to coat well. Arrange pieces skin side down in the pan.

2. Place under the broiler and broil for 3 minutes. Turn each piece skin side up and broil for 1 to 3 minutes longer.

3. Remove from broiler and portion chicken pieces onto warmed plates.

Frank Pellegrino. “Rao’s Cookbook – Over 100 years of Italian Home Cooking” © 1998 Random House, ISBN 0-679-45749-6 (page 81).

Rita

Thanks Rita for confirming what my cookbook from Frank says. I thought this recipe was in line with what James wanted as far as cooking it in a CI pan rather than on the grill.

Oh well, it has to be good if Frank says so!!!

Ben

Back